Universal Plug&Play - only 12 entries are shown in playlist

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
bigwolf48
New Cone
New Cone

Universal Plug&Play - only 12 entries are shown in playlist

Postby bigwolf48 » 29 Aug 2018 21:51

I have problem using Universal Plug&Play with the Panasonic Blu Ray recorder DMR-BCT730.
With the current version of VLC (3.03) I can only see 12 entries in a list. If I open a sub directory I can see another 12 entries and so on.
Does someone know if there is as setting which limits the entries?
This happens on Win 10 as well as on Android 8.

If I use an old version like 2.2.1 on Win 10 then it works fine. However it takes a lot of time to start with the initial listing. This is much more faster with 3.0.3

Thanks

tonnoto
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Universal Plug&Play - only 12 entries are shown in playlist

Postby tonnoto » 07 Oct 2018 19:36

Exactly the same problem with a panasonic video recorder.
Even for me the former release since vlc-2.2.6-win64 works fine.
Thanks

Meerkat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Meerkat » 08 Oct 2018 12:34

I thought I should let you know I am having the same problem as above with Universal Plug&Play on version 3.0.4. I have a version 2.2.6 on a laptop and that is working fine.
I have gone back to 2.2.6 on my main computer and that is now working correctly.
I am using VLC to save non HD programs to my computer from a Humax and a Panasonic Recorder.

Version 3.0.4 does not display all the files.
Version 3.0.4 does not save the video.ts file to my computer hard drive using Dump Raw Input. When trying to do this the video file starts playing and not saving.

Version 2.2.6 Works correctly. I have not tried any newer versions so I can not say which version started the problem.

Thank you......

steved85020243
New Cone
New Cone

Postby steved85020243 » 07 Dec 2019 14:47

I have seen this bug with every recent release of Windows Versions. I go back to an earlier 2.something to get a full list from my DVR.
I can then use the saved playlist with all the URLs of the titles in a later version to play.
I'll have to check my MacPro to see if is broken there too.
When this worked, it showed all titles and was a great tool for cataloging all my electronic holdings and I manually added my DVD library.

There seems to be so much that people expect from the VLC devs.
It takes people with a character of steel to do the good work for such a diverse user base

My vote ($100AUD) to get this one bug fixed and back to listing all the DVR titles.
Sadly pathetic really, having used VLC since Windows 3.0 that $100 is less than $5/year.
I spent some time trying to find out what the protocol was to quiz the DVR without success.
Is DLNA an open protocol?

steved85020243
New Cone
New Cone

Postby steved85020243 » 07 Dec 2019 15:26

Dear Here,

I have registered on VLC bugtrac and this issue now has a number
#23554: Universal Plug&Play - only 12 entries are shown in playlist

Will post again here if there is progress.

SteveD

#thweiss
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby #thweiss » 11 Dec 2019 17:01

The Issue is not new.

Have a Look in the following Links:

VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting:
"Missing UPnP entries from Panasonic UPnP device"

Code: Select all

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=149034

VLC bug tracker:
"UPnP Client: Issues with browsing content"

Code: Select all

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/15876

steved85020243
New Cone
New Cone

Postby steved85020243 » 12 Dec 2019 20:18

Thanks so much for posting those links. There is many ways to describe and report issues.
Sadly, I'd have to agree with those postings, that what we see as a "bug" is an issue with regression testing the newer releases.
VLC is such a diverse product and so many ways to use it; regression testing is by the user group right in these forums.
Ultimately it is up to us.
I think I will take a little time over the year end holidays to use WireShark, as in your references to see the difference between 2.0.7 and 3.x.
The only benefit will be to refresh my WireShark skills (which I learned when that tool was called Ethereal).

It has not escaped my attention that the DVRs we use are manufactured, programmed and released once as a consumer turn-key item and almost never patched.
Just saying, this kind of client<->server interaction needs both ends to agree at the protocol level, which is ultimately programmed by the two different groups hopefully interpreting the published standard in the same way.

Pretty tough game to be in.

F1GWR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby F1GWR » 29 Apr 2020 17:26

Hi,

I've been so sorry to note that the newest version 3.0.10 did NOT solve this bug. Only twenty videos still appear from my Panasonic GT60 series TV set, although 6 TB of USB disk videos are in-line!
Despite of my right to locally and privately record legally received TV broadcasts, VLC doesn't seem to allow copying the files to a local disk (directly attached or private network disk).

Nor was VLC 2.1.5 been able to **even** open the DLNA TV attached disk and display the table of contents despite what I read above.

When will these features be restored / implemented?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 26 Jan 2021 18:34

Hello,

This issue was finally resolved in version 3.0.11 that was macOS only and of course in version 3.0.12 that was released last week for all platforms.

Please enjoy and sorry that this took so long.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

steved85020243
New Cone
New Cone

Postby steved85020243 » 27 Jan 2021 01:22

Downloaded and installed 3.0.12 to my Win10 and yes, yes, YES, I can see all the videos on my DVR and play them again.

Well done. Thank-you very much. Donation posted $$. Good job.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”