Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

Postby unidan » 15 May 2019 18:52

Is it windows ? what is your network visibility ? (public / private network as asked by windows the first time you connect)

hunnypuppy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

Postby hunnypuppy » 16 May 2019 15:38

Check your chromecast settings in VLC, I've seen this happen when I checked the Audio Passthrough option, turning it off and restarting VLC fixed it.
It may be a bug in VLC since my receiver does support Dolby and the audio format used in the file I was casting (AAC), sometimes it would work with the option checked while other times it would not (for the same file), but with it unchecked it always worked.

HVM93
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HVM93 » 29 May 2019 10:30

I'm having the same problem. I tried updating my VLC with the latest nightly build, but that didn't fix the problem.

Is this indeed a problem related to an update Google made?

The Google reps want to steer me away from using VLC. But no other methods of casting have worked as reliably as VLC.

Is there a known fix to this issue?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 29 May 2019 15:28

Hi,
It may be a bug in VLC since my receiver does support Dolby and the audio format used in the file I was casting (AAC), sometimes it would work with the option checked while other times it would not (for the same file), but with it unchecked it always worked.
What is your receiver ? Can you share the file ?
I'm having the same problem. I tried updating my VLC with the latest nightly build, but that didn't fix the problem.

The Google reps want to steer me away from using VLC. But no other methods of casting have worked as reliably as VLC.

Can you share the file too ?

HVM93
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HVM93 » 30 May 2019 07:49

Hi,

Hi,

Here's what happened. This is extremely bizarre. After hearing me say that VLC said it was due to Google making some updates, Google said I should not use VLC. I had been having basically three different results when attempting to cast YouTube (when YouTube could be cast just fine from any of our mobile devices):
1) Chromecast was not recognized as a casting destination
2) Chromecast was recognized as a casting destination but when I attempted to cast, the blue circle would just go round and round and round indefinitely
3) I could cast, but the casting would stop abruptly some 10-15-20 minutes after I started casting

After having those three problems with Chromecast, I started using VLC. VLC worked flawlessly for several months until abruptly it no longer showed the video on the remote device, but instead showed the black screen with the title of the YouTube video in white letters.

So I called Google again. This time Google had me do a new setup on my Chromecast and asked that I use only the 2.4 band and not the 5.0 band. I tried casting YouTube with the 2.4 band and it cast just fine. Then I switched to the 5.0 band and the casting stopped. I then switched back to the 2.4 band and the casting didn't resume. The Google rep said I should then power cycle the Chromecast. I did, but when trying to cast again, I experienced #2 (the blue circle going around and around indefinitely) and no casting. So out of curiosity, I wondered if I could cast (maybe not the video, but at least the blank black screen and the white YouTube title) using VLC. Not only would VLC cast, but it now casts the actual video - and not just the black screen with the white YouTube title. One would think if casting works via YouTube, then it should work via VLC and vice versa.

I'll be running more tests on the 30th to see if there is any consistency to this.

I would upload images, but don't see an option for that. Can you explain how I can upload images/files?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 01 Jun 2019 17:46

I don't think google can do anything as they don't control the chromecast implementation of VLC and might not be able to provide details for the chromecast device part.

You can upload on google drive, wetransfer, framadrop, or basically anything you want. If it is meant to be shared privately, you can upload on http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ and give the name of the file here.

But we need details, like device / device version if possible.

ProgrammersRevenge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ProgrammersRevenge » 02 Jun 2019 12:27

Hi there,
i got it working on my System. It was (on my System) an Firewall and Networksetting issue.

Versions:
Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.522
VLC 3.0.6

Microsoft removed the convenient Way to change the NetworkCategory from public to private.
After some light Registry editing i changed it to private.
In addition my Firewall and Windows Firewall blocked Ports 5353, 8009, 8010, 53292.

Interestingly streaming via VLC worked right away on my MacBook.

Hope this Post helps someone with this Problem,

ProgrammersRevenge

DifferentDead
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DifferentDead » 07 Jun 2019 23:50

Captain here!
I HAVE A FIX!
Okay the issue is due to windows defender.
*Sorry for it beeing in danish xD*
But yea, you have to check VLC Mediaplayer in the windows defender settings.

*Flyes away*

RichardL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RichardL » 09 Jun 2019 02:06

Installed the latest VLC (via snap) v3.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04, and I'm getting the exact same problem described here. That is a black screen with the title of file displayed on my Chromecast (Ultra) and nothing else! After a while, the message "Casting this video requires conversion ..." appears, clicking OK has no effect. I'm unable to find any file that doesn't require conversion, even files that originated from YouTube in the first place.

I'm able to successfully cast from YouTube through my Chromium browser on the same PC.

Thanks.

RichardL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RichardL » 09 Jun 2019 02:15

Check your chromecast settings in VLC, I've seen this happen when I checked the Audio Passthrough option, turning it off and restarting VLC fixed it.
Sorry, what chromecast settings in VLC?

Thanks.

remix224
New Cone
New Cone

Postby remix224 » 23 Jun 2019 19:29

Using Linux (Arch):
Assuming you've installed protobuf and libmicrodns.

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8009 -j ACCEPT sudo /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8010 -j ACCEPT
I don't know if these ports are standard; if it still doesn't work go to tools->messages->debug and make sure your see these ports are in there when switching from local to chromecast under renderer.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 01 Jul 2019 17:29

@remix224: they are not, but they might not change between session:

../modules/stream_out/chromecast/chromecast.h:#define CHROMECAST_CONTROL_PORT 8009
../modules/stream_out/chromecast/chromecast.h:#define HTTP_PORT 8010

jpager
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Casting VLC to chromecast black screen some progress - need more steps to resolve

Postby jpager » 05 Jul 2019 05:39

I developed this problem last week and I don't know why. I use mkv x265 files.
To test, I played various files, and came upon this fact: I tried an avi/xvid file, which I normally never use.
VLC advised it would need transcoding - the same message it had originally warned for x265.
(I tried the xvid thinking mabye it wouldn't need transcoding, but voi'la - it worked anyway).
The point being, it seems that somehow VLC has gotten confused in the transcoding process.
Also note, I did try resetting all settings to default, and did try enabling VLC in Windows Firewall. Neither helped.
Next, I've tried downgrading from 3.071 to 3.07 and I'm noticing that it's not asking me to transcode my x265, and it should, given Chromecast doesnt support this file type natively.
Next, I've tried downgrading to 3.06 advanced settings, so I can manually select delete preferences and cache (yes, two changes, but there you go)...
No improvement. I still can't play the x265 files to the chromecast. The audio works, but the video is black.
Given it's not asking me to transcode, and I'm 99% sure it needs to do this, I think VLC has somehow lost awareness of the transcode step.
If I knew how to fix that, i'd take it further...

Additional notes: the files work on Android using the built in cast function, but have been wonky on the android vlc (sometimes work, sometimes dont, i haven't spent time on that). The big issue is on the pc, where I'm using windows 10 pro, 64 bit.

Realcellar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Realcellar » 21 Jul 2019 22:27

Go to advanced settings, Type transcode in search field, disable video-encoder.
Open mkv file, VLC warns about encoding and battery use, allow...
Audio and video works fine now :)

Adel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Adel » 29 Jul 2019 02:40

I have Exactly the same problelm and unable to solve \it.
But to make it easy for people who are trying to solve the problem , let me state that:
I have one TV Sony .
I have two laptops , running windows version 10 with the latest same updates.
I have VLC version 3.07.1 Installed on Both laptops .
I have the same media files on both laptops.
BUT Strange enough one laptop is Casting perfectly to the same TV While The other is showing Exactly the same problem mentioned above Which is very annoying.
So Anyone Got any Idea about solving this problem.
Thanks.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 29 Jul 2019 08:53

Hi, check your network configuration, you should be in "home network" configuration. It won't work if you've set the network as "public".

gcwjr85
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gcwjr85 » 03 Aug 2019 08:45

firewall issue would mean you don't see the chromecast at all. If it renders black screen, it means the issue is on our side (well, usually either because of a chromecast update that remove features, or a format that wasn't transcoded previously in chromecast).
Wrong. Turning off Windows firewall worked for me instantly after having this exact problem with the "conversion" warning and all.

1hitwonder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 1hitwonder » 07 Aug 2019 06:07

I used to have the same problem when I was on 3.0.6. But after upgrading to 3.0.7, it magically worked. I didn't have to tweak anything.
However, there are still a few secondary issues, such as subtitle not displaying on TV (but no problem if played locally). The casting is very smooth with no hiccup at all. The CPU usage on my laptop (7th gen i5) is averaging 25%, GPU usage is barely 1%, and network usage is about 200-400 KByte/s (highly scene dependent). The TV is wired, the laptop is on wifi 5Ghz band.

deeheffernan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deeheffernan » 19 Aug 2019 20:02

Same issue. Included OS and version here:
https://pastebin.com/tdBca5zN

Really Grumpy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Really Grumpy » 13 Sep 2019 10:59

I updated a to version 3.0.7 and now to 3.0.8 and casting to my Chromecast/TV was working well.

In the last few days I received the following MS updates:
11/09/2019 KB4515383 (security update)
12/09/2019 KB4514359 (windows update)
12/09/2019 KB4515348 (windows update)

As of this morning (the first time using VLC since the updates) have same problem as others in this thread; could this be related?

I am currently uninstalling the three updates to see if the VLC functionality returns and will post the results later.

Has anybody had the same experience, i.e. following updates?

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 18 Sep 2019 03:17

I'm having the same issue on 3.0.7 Posted on this thread back in May, didn't have much of a response from anyone. https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149501&p=495733#p495733

rannsaichervlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rannsaichervlc » 24 Sep 2019 12:46

Ive just encountered the same issue on Win 10 vlc 3.0.8 whilst trying to cast an IPTV stream that previously worked. Netflix casts ok from my android phonr. .Followed suggestion above to change local network from public to private. Can now cast iptv but stream drops out after 2-3 minutes

OCieLivE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OCieLivE » 15 Oct 2019 03:06

Hi everyone,

I had this issue as well. Here are my specs and the solution that worked for me:

Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Kernel 4.15.0-65-generic
VLC 3.0.8

If you open the firewall when trying to cast, you'll get some logged entries blocking VLC. You need to click on the logged entry, press the plus sign, then create a rule allowing connections going in both directions. I did it for two logged entries, then it worked for me.

This is probably a firewall issue for everyone with VLC 3.0.8.

Thanks for the help everyone!

dontbesojumpy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dontbesojumpy » 26 Oct 2019 22:33

Correct Solution: Firewall settings.

I just wanted to confirm the same thing was happening to me. Avast controls my firewall settings and VLC had all allowed permissions. I discovered (in my case) my network was set to public. Changing it to private (as it is) solved casting issues.

tomycrosound
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomycrosound » 18 Nov 2019 11:08

https://ibb.co/f4GSH72

I don't know if the picture clearly evokes the problem .. Hello!
I test iptv and consider buying. The idea was to release iptv from mobile (ios) to chromecast.
Since I found out that chromecast doesn't chew .ts, so it doesn't release most channels without transcoding, my next idea was to insert a list into a plex server that spins on my pc all day.
Here's the problem that plex dropped plugins.
I further dug up a vlc that can stream iptv to chromecast with the pc, but the problem is - some channels work ok, but most hd channels (if not all) stream only to the top half of the screen. In some, the lower half is black, in others it does some mirroring of colors like the photo below.
I think the picture is whole, but narrowed down.
Does anyone know how to solve a problem and what's the catch?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”