apply large PlayList font (just fyi)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
markgilmore
New Cone
New Cone

apply large PlayList font (just fyi)

Postby markgilmore » 08 Sep 2019 22:23

Windows:
to use a large font in the playlist (only), i change "zoom=0" to "zoom=7" in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini
BUT this has to be done prior to *every* execution of VLC, as it's reset to 0 on exit :-(
this is not an issue for me, as i use a batch file (PlayMedia.bat) to play media files - e.g.:
REM USE BIG FONT IN PLAYLIST (VLC RESETS IT TO 0 ON EXIT):
c:\mark\replace.exe C:\Users\mark\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini "zoom=0" "zoom=7"
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" %1
Note: replace.exe is *my* pgm. There are windows utilities available that will replace text in a file.

Linux:
vlc-qt-interface.conf contains "zoom=0", but changing it appears to have NO effect

if anyone out there can improve/correct/add to this info, please share!

VLC developers:
This really should be an option - esp as many of us use VLC with our home entertainment systems
(in which case the TV is some distance from the couch - making the playlist unreadable)
Last edited by markgilmore on 08 Sep 2019 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

markgilmore
New Cone
New Cone

Re: enlarge PlayList font (just fyi)

Postby markgilmore » 08 Sep 2019 22:25

or at least this could be documented, and VLC could be changed so as to *not* reset it to 0 on exit

markgilmore
New Cone
New Cone

Re: apply large PlayList font (just fyi)

Postby markgilmore » 08 Sep 2019 22:35

related: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=147584 (How to set the large fonts for playlist?)

astreb06
New Cone
New Cone

Postby astreb06 » 28 Dec 2020 20:49

If there is not any options setting to resolve this within VLC, are there any plugins out there perhaps that would achieve this goal?

astreb06
New Cone
New Cone

Postby astreb06 » 28 Dec 2020 21:06

Right-clicking and clicking display increase only slightly enlarges the font.

joefiesta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joefiesta » 25 Oct 2021 18:07

this is what I do. However, I found that it is problematic with versions after 2.2.6. So, I have not upgraded VLC beyond 2.2.6.

Does anyone successfully use this workaround with versions after 2.2.6?

cameronheinricks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cameronheinricks » 27 Nov 2021 07:46

Found this as the true fix posting tot the top search for VLC Font text size, this is a DPI issue

1. Go to your program files and find VLC folder.
2. Right click on VLC.exe and select properties.
3. Select on the top "Compability".
4. Execute the problem solver of compability (my windows is not in english)
5. Done! Open VLC and you will have big font."

Specifically the "Change high DPI settings" under the compatibility tab. For me, checking the box under "program DPI" worked the best, although "override high DPI scaling" also worked, but was more blurry

trysting
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trysting » 21 Dec 2023 11:14

All 'solutions' being posted are bandaids. Let's be serious, VLC is a top media player and we are watching often on big screens from across the room. Except the playlists are ridiculous. Changing Windows settings affects the menus, but not the actual list. The text is teeny tiny to the point of being a critical usability and occupational health issue. Windows 11 as the drivers are currently implemented is completely ignoring usability and forcing users to buy prescription glasses for use with their windows 0S machines. VLC could at least step in and enable users to select a comfortable viewing experience in the interface and playlists.

Rozzy Osbourne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rozzy Osbourne » 21 Aug 2024 02:51

Yes, I know it's an old original post but searching for a solution brought me here, so I'll share my workaround after reading the original post using the vlc-qt-interface.ini file.

As said by markgilmore navigate to C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini and open the file, at the bottom of the [Playlist] section change "zoom=0" to whatever zoom suits your needs.
Save the file, then right click on the same vlc-qt-interface.ini file and select "Properties", check the "Read-only" box, and click on "OK".

If you need to change your VLC preferences in future you might have to navigate back to the vlc-qt-interface.ini file and uncheck the "Read-only" box. Then afterwards go back to it and change "zoom=0" again and check the "Read-only" box again.

78gao420
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 78gao420 » 12 Sep 2024 05:56

I am reading threads having issues with /Asking for this feature from as far back as 2006, it is now 2024, You think maybe we get some progress on this?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”