Minimum Hardware necessary

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

What type of machine is your VLC (Linux version) running on and working?

Pentium I
No votes
Pentium II
9%
Pentium III
27%
Pentium IV
18%
Other
45%

Total votes: 11

ArneVR
New Cone
New Cone

Minimum Hardware necessary

Postby ArneVR » 27 Nov 2003 19:57

What Intel machines is the VLC running on (working)?

I am looking for minimum requirements, so the lower the machine you tried and got VLC running properly, the better.
Arne Van Renterghem
mediAVentures bvba
Sint Jozefstraat 18
9820 Merelbeke
Belgium

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 27 Nov 2003 20:11

Isn't this an imensly stupid poll? vlc runs on lots of other hardware than intels, and the minimum hardware requirements depends to a very large degree on what you want to use it for

ArneVR
New Cone
New Cone

Hmm, let me specify

Postby ArneVR » 27 Nov 2003 21:59

Yes, I'm shure it runs on quite some different systems, but I'm interested in Intel systems which are the ones I use.

Secondly, let's define the use:

Streaming from an external video and audio source in MPEG2, full screen, 4 MBits/sec.

Arne Van Renterghem
mediAVentures bvba
Sint Jozefstraat 18
9820 Merelbeke
Belgium

Goon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goon » 01 Dec 2003 19:02

Isn't this an imensly stupid poll? vlc runs on lots of other hardware than intels, and the minimum hardware requirements depends to a very large degree on what you want to use it for
:twisted: :lol: Keep cool sigmund :wink:

Chazmati

Good question!

Postby Chazmati » 02 Dec 2003 04:27

I think this is a great question.

I have an old 200 MHz i386 machine with a RIVA TNT card w/ TV out. Could I expect to do anything decent with VLC? If I could get VHS quality streaming I'd be happy. I have higher-powered boxes that could send the stream on my 100 Mb Ethernet LAN.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 02 Dec 2003 13:52

I'm not sure what you are expecting, but the most CPU intensive part (decoding) is always done on the client side.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

ArneVR
New Cone
New Cone

What I am expecting

Postby ArneVR » 02 Dec 2003 15:05

I would love to have several cheap harddiskrecorders (not necessarily in on machine).

So what I would like to build is:
- several PI-166 machines with an mpeg encoding card in and a small linux version and an ethernet card.
- one or more high level machines with fast HD (scsi) that can record several streams from some of these "cheap" streaming machines located in a central location.
- Meanwhile be able to show these streams om several locations in a congreshall (audio and video) va multicast..

I'm quite convinced that we could do all that with VLS and VLC, but I'm not shure about the hardware minimum specs.

I did find for VLS PI-166-32MB as a minimum ... I did not yet try to do any calculation regarding the network bandwidth ...
Arne Van Renterghem
mediAVentures bvba
Sint Jozefstraat 18
9820 Merelbeke
Belgium

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 02 Dec 2003 19:28

VLC does not support hardware encoders or decoders, so a P1 will never do
Don't use PMs for support questions.

BigBen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby BigBen » 02 Dec 2003 22:15

as long have your card is able to output a vaild MPEG stream on a device, we should be able to stream it... This has been tried with Haupaugge PVR 250 cards and Kfirs under linux. In fact, we have a pvr input on VLC, that can has the ability to set this cards correctly without using any external program...

This has never been tried, but a P166 could be enough to stream (we have been using up to 3 PVRs in a single PII 400.

Could ou please report any success (if any) with any other kind of card ?
--
BigBen

VideoLAN Team

Daniel

Hauppauge PVR usb

Postby Daniel » 08 Dec 2003 21:16

Does your PVR function work with all Hauppauge cards? I think they all use the same type of MPEG2 stream, and if you don't supply a special driver it should work?

Any plans for PVR support in windows?? I'd think that most TV cards for PC's will soon be based on Mpeg2 encoding IC's.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”