Audio passthrough/volume control

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
titoj
New Cone
New Cone

Audio passthrough/volume control

Postby titoj » 24 Mar 2019 09:40

I have a home theater setup using an old TV without HDMI return, so movies on the computer go to a fairly new A/V amp via HDMI. The amp drives the speakers and feeds video to the TV.

It took me some time to figure out why I couldn't control the volume of some movies with my mouse scroll wheel but could others. Apparently, VLC passes through Dolby and DTS streams to the amp, but processes other streams itself. The scroll wheel works for the latter but not the former.

I've poked around in the preferences and searched the manual, but I don't see anything specific about passthrough vs. processing of digital audio. One help page says Dolby processing won't be available until version 4 of VLC comes out, suggesting that I'm stuck with no mouse control for A/52 and (I guess) DTS for the time being.

The mouse wheel responds much faster than the amp remote control, and I tend to fiddle with the volume a lot to hear some dialogue clearly or to avoid annoying the neighbors when Earth is bombing the aliens.

Computer OS is Win 10. I have no clear idea of what the majority of the advanced audio controls do, so I haven't fiddled with them. Bottom line questions are whether there's some way to use the mouse wheel as a volume control on all movie clips, and whether I'm correct in the reason why the wheel works on some videos and not on others.

Thanks.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Audio passthrough/volume control

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 24 Mar 2019 10:00

This is an intrinsic limitation of pass-through. Nothing VLC can do about. Disable pass-through if you want volume controls in VLC.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”