Adding new input format

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
yogeshsarda
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Adding new input format

Postby yogeshsarda » 04 Jan 2006 09:04

I want to use VLC player to play MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and our own protocol. We have an stand alone application that receives our propriety encoded data over network, decode it and generate DIB out of it. I want to know how to go about adding this protocol as input to to VLC player. Please point me to some documents on adding plugins to VLC.

Also let me know if you feel there is another way to make VLC player play our encoded stream.

I would really appreciate your answers, suggestions, comments.

drus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby drus » 04 Jan 2006 09:27

Hello.

I had the similar aim. First of all read this document http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/vlc/ ... anual.html
It will help you much. Then try to understand, how input module works. The easiest way to write your own module is to change the existing one.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 04 Jan 2006 10:01

Grmpf, yet another propriary format :(

You can also have a look at the HACKING file in the source, the doc dir in the source.

Also don't forgot to comply with the GPL if you distribute your software.

Btw, what does DIB mean ?
Xtophe

yogeshsarda
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yogeshsarda » 04 Jan 2006 13:14

Thanks for your replies.

As I have understood so far, I would need to write new input module, demultiplexer and decoder. Is that right?

PS:
Though it is propriety format, we don't mind releasing its code.

DIB is device independent bitmap. Currently we use this to render the picture.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 Jan 2006 14:55

If you need help you can also come on #videolan on Freenode and you'll find loads of people willing to help you.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

yogeshsarda
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yogeshsarda » 06 Jan 2006 05:42

So from our discussion as I understand I need to write new acess, demux and decoder module.

My input would be a network stream over UDP. Can I not use the existing access module?

Since I am really new to VLC architecture and code, can you please guide me as to which modules are easier to modify without causing side effects.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”