Problem with E-AC3 audio tracks

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Problem with E-AC3 audio tracks

Postby lesmikesell » 28 Oct 2017 06:46

If you are running VLC on an android TV box, the only way out is going to be SPDIF or the ARC return of the receiver HDMI which has the same bandwidth limitations. Kodi recently added the ability to transcode other multi-channel formats to DD 5.1 to make it possible to keep the surround sound. Could VLC do the same? Plex will do something similar but does the transcoding on the server side.

Also, Sony and Phillips (at least) android TVs currently have a problem with the android API to pass DTS through, so the same transcoding is used to make it work even though theoretically DTS should work over SPDIF or ARC.

gabor9005
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gabor9005 » 17 Nov 2017 00:21

And yet, every other mediaplayer can do this (I guess by converting to AC3 on the fly.)
Please do the same in VLC, AC3 is totally great, nobody wants to buy a new 5.1 system because of E-AC3.

This file is working fine for us. Please use 3.0.

If you are using SPDIF you CANNOT get 5.1 with EAC3. It is not possible, since the bitrate is too high.

You MUST use HDMI for this.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Nov 2017 14:01

And yet, every other mediaplayer can do this (I guess by converting to AC3 on the fly.)
You mean all media players using the same codec...
Please do the same in VLC, AC3 is totally great, nobody wants to buy a new 5.1 system because of E-AC3.
Sorry, that's not planned for us yet. Patches for that are welcome.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

gabor9005
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gabor9005 » 17 Nov 2017 18:08

May I ask why is not planned? :(
I would like to go back to VLC...
Sorry, that's not planned for us yet. Patches for that are welcome.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Nov 2017 11:37

May I ask why is not planned? :(
Because this is really not important. Most people moved to HDMI nowadays, because it can handle DTS-HD or TrueHD.

Doing a decoding-of-EAC3-and-reencode-in-AC3 only in playback over SPDIF is also consuming of time, a weird case in VLC architecture, and of limited gain, because EAC3 is not common.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

gabor9005
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gabor9005 » 19 Nov 2017 12:10

I seriously doubt that most people moved on to HDMI, because most people are not that rich and don't like to switch from a perfectly good 5.1 system is there is absolutely no reason to.
Not to mention the hassle with all the wireing stuff that is inside the walls...
Maybe most people in the U.S. moved on or something, but not worldwide thats for sure.

Also, E-AC3 is super-common nowadays, almost every TV show in encoded in EAC3 so I use VLC for about 5% of the time now and use PowerDVD for the other 95%.
(I really hate PowerDVD, VLC is much better, but unfortunately I can't use VLC for 95% of the movies I watch because of this EAC3 gimmick... :(
Because this is really not important. Most people moved to HDMI nowadays, because it can handle DTS-HD or TrueHD.
Doing a decoding-of-EAC3-and-reencode-in-AC3 only in playback over SPDIF is also consuming of time, a weird case in VLC architecture, and of limited gain, because EAC3 is not common.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Nov 2017 14:47

If you care, send patches. But this is not high-priority for me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

gabor9005
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gabor9005 » 21 Nov 2017 12:28

I am not a programmer unfortunately.
You work on VLC by yourself?
I thought there is a team on this, nobody is available for EAC3->AC3 conversion patch?
Anyone who reads this? Please? :-)

If you care, send patches. But this is not high-priority for me.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Nov 2017 16:12

People work on what they want. And they agree with me on this point.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

gabor9005
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gabor9005 » 24 Nov 2017 17:45

I don't even understand how can you use HDMI for sound. My soundcard have no HDMI out, and I searched online for new soundcard for my PC, but NONE of them have HDMI outputs.
So how can I connect my PC with a HDMI 5.1 system???

Wombat22
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wombat22 » 02 Dec 2017 17:00

Dear VLC developers:

I too have encountered this issue and joined the forum for this discussion.

My setup, which I believe is pretty common, is an HTPC connected to a projector via HDMI and a receiver via SPDIF. The video card is also connected to an LCD monitor, so I don't have an additional SPDIF out for audio connection to the receiver. As a result, I, like many, therefore rely on SPDIF for transmission of the digital audio signal to the receiver, and thus am only getting a stereo signal with files containing E-AC3 audio.

For many of these files I've started using a program to convert E-AC3 to AC3, but this is time consuming and adds multiple steps for every file I want to watch. Clearly, it would be much simpler if VLC could handle E-AC3 files directly.

I certainly don't know what programming is required for that to work, but I do believe there are many people in this situation, people (like me) who really like VLC media player and want to find a way to properly play these E-AC3 files.

Just my 2 cents.

Wombat22

alex4vlc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alex4vlc » 24 Dec 2017 23:49

For me its not working with HDMI either...

My TV is connected to my PC via HDMI, then my TV is connected to my Onkyo Receiver via HDMI as well. Sound of E-AC3 is still stereo...

jsuln
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jsuln » 02 Jan 2018 18:35

Hi there,

I am also facing issues with the eac3 files.

I get 2 channel stereo if i connect my laptop over hdmi to the tv (which is then connected to the sony dn1050 with hdmi arc). This could be an ARC (in)compatibility to handle eac3 (although the tv manual says it can handle dd+) issue so I moved on.

I connected the laptop directly to the receiver with hdmi (receiver supports eac3), i get 3/4.1 linear pcm (the receiver says that) sound with no center channel, although my setup is 5.1. Everything else (dd, dts .. ) plays perfectly fine with both mentioned combinations.

Is there any progress regarding this issue? I have tried playing these files with mplayerx (no idea which alternative to try), and it plays fine, although the center channel becomes the rear left for some reason. Receiver still shows 3/4.1 linear pcm. I guess it should interpret the sound for the 5.1 layout and it doesnt..

Anyway, I am lost and I have no idea where the issue is and how to get proper sound with eac3 files (which is actually pretty common these days).

Any ideas guys?

thanks,
jaka

Stryker One
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stryker One » 06 Jan 2018 08:09

Ok, I'm using ECS 880GM-E43 motherboard, equipped with an HDMI 1.3 port (a requirement for DD+), connected to a Pioneer SC-1522-K A/V receiver that natively supports DD+, using VLC 3.0, and I STILL can't get any of my DD+ encoded MKV files to play in anything other than stereo. What am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Does VLC support DD+ or not?

jsuln
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jsuln » 09 Jan 2018 14:25

I can post an update, I think i have (partially) resolved my situation with DD+, maybe it helps you too:

The issue was in the mac settings for sound, I had to choose 8 channel 192,1kHz audio for the hdmi passthrough. DD+ requires 192.1khz if I am not mistaken. So this makes it work (sometimes the receiver says dolby digital, sometimes linear pcm 3/4.1), but i cannot get normal 2 channel audio over hdmi with this setting - just noise and hiss. But thats fine, i stream stereo audio / music to my receiver with airplay or chromecast or from the TV / CD player.

This works when I have the macbook connected directly to the receiver with hdmi and then output to TV. I still have to investigate the TV's passthrough, im afraid I will not be able to get DD+ if the source of audio/video is from the TV (and then to the receiver) directly. This is 90% of times when I use Kodi or Plex to stream stuff on the TV.

Try to find some settings like i did, hope it helps.

jaka

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 12 Jan 2018 09:31

I'm having the same problem as the others. With Windows Media Player, E-AC-3 gets passed to my Yamaha receiver and my 5.1 speaker setup works fine. The front of the receiver reads "STRAIGHT" and all the speakers are active. With VLC, it does not work. The front of the receiver indicates PCM and the all the speakers are not active. VLC doesn't work with the now very popular Dolby Digital Plus. All connections are HDMI.

I'd like to add that my old WD TV Live box also has no trouble sending DD+ through the Yamaha receiver (HDMI).

A whole lot of files are using E-AC-3 now so hopefully this problem will get jumped on.

Thanks
If everything is hdmi, there might be a bug on eac3 detection, assuming the output is properly set for passthrough
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

brechtsky1

Postby brechtsky1 » 07 May 2018 12:56

Yes I also have this problem BIG TIME.

I have an old receiver that does not understand eac3 ... But it works perfectly with encoded signals like Dolby, AC3, and DTS, and passes thru to my sony receiver and 5-channel setup without an issue every time.

I didnt mind or care about eac3 for a while, but all of the sudden, high resolution files from almost ALL distributors have this as their audio format, be it amazon prime's official releases, or even torrents.

For video and audio aficionados like myself (and anyone who uses VLC probably), I would REALLY LOVE if someone could fix this issue so the eac3 signal was decoded before sending to my receiver. Its really making me sad to listen to all my movies and shows in stereo with really bad sounding downmixes.

Seeing as EAC3 is clearly becoming the standard audio format for many online video distributors, it would make sense to devote some effort to making it work properly for your programs fans and users.

Please please please! Thanks very much!

P.S. This issue persists whether I use optical audio output, or HDMI output... so I presume its the (very old) receiver, and any solution would require the signal decoded before sending to my receiver.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 07 May 2018 20:36

Encoding to AC-3 sounds like something that your OS audio HAL should do. There are virtual audio drivers at least for Windows and Linux (ALSA) to do that. I don't really see why VLC should be doing this.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

brechtsky1

Postby brechtsky1 » 09 May 2018 14:27

Encoding to AC-3 sounds like something that your OS audio HAL should do. There are virtual audio drivers at least for Windows and Linux (ALSA) to do that. I don't really see why VLC should be doing this.

The reason is as I stated above... Most (and increasingly MORE) distributors are suddenly using EAC3... If thats not a good enough reason (which it really should be), maybe the PAGES of people complaining here and elsewhere is a good enough reason?

I mean its pretty obvious YOU aren't suffering from this issue, as you repeatedly act like no one cares, and least of all, you...

But people are caring about unsupported surround sound (duh) , and people want this feature... so there is your answer for "why VLC should be doing this"

Thanks much!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 May 2018 19:27

If people wanted the feature badly enough, as you claim, then I would have seen patches on vlc-devel. Or they would do the simpler alternative: the existing solution to make this work, which I already pointed out.

So no, obviously, people do not care as much as you claim.

Besides my argument was not that the feature is useless. My argument is that the feature belongs in the OS HAL or audio drivers underneath it. And that has already been done. If this were implemented in VLC, then no other apps would be able to render 5.1, which would be just plain dumb.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

brechtsky1

Postby brechtsky1 » 12 May 2018 14:37

If people wanted the feature badly enough, as you claim, then I would have seen patches on vlc-devel. Or they would do the simpler alternative: the existing solution to make this work, which I already pointed out.

So no, obviously, people do not care as much as you claim.
And so let me get this right, unless changes are made on the vlc-devel, people dont want changes, regardless of the pages of comments here requesting them?

okayyyyyy.

You realize that makes no sense, right? The devs are not infallible or omniscient-- thats why theres a new version of vlc every week fixing the faults of the last one -- because you guys arent perfect and dont know everything.

Furthermore, you've heard of the notion of "user requested features" right? ... that notion exits because devs are almost always unable to predict the full needs or wants of their user base.

So yeah, people want it, it would be useful. so thanks.
Besides my argument was not that the feature is useless. My argument is that the feature belongs in the OS HAL or audio drivers underneath it. And that has already been done. If this were implemented in VLC, then no other apps would be able to render 5.1, which would be just plain dumb.
Simply not true, is it.

Youd obviously put some click /toggle on or off feature to activate the local rendering of the eac3, or maybe even have a preference setting.

Thats like saying VLC supporting stereo means it couldn't also support 5.1

which, of course, is laughable.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 May 2018 19:39

And so let me get this right, unless changes are made on the vlc-devel, people dont want changes, regardless of the pages of comments here requesting them?
That's not what I wrote. Your are deliberately misrepresenting my statement.
Simply not true, is it.
I don't like people misquoting me and then calling me a liar.
Straw man argument.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

brechtsky1

Postby brechtsky1 » 18 Jun 2018 14:44

That's not what I wrote. Your are deliberately misrepresenting my statement.
Simply not true, is it.
I don't like people misquoting me and then calling me a liar.
Straw man argument.
Its super cool the way you ignored the actual arguments I made and used your own BS to avoid replying. Straw man argument? Time to look in the mirror, or take english lessons because not a straw man here buddy, I am providing rational arguments and you are ignoring them, trying to be cool and misusing phrases like straw man that you probably only know because you once got called it yourself.

Like the comment I made about user requested features and devs not being able to predict the needs of users. Any reply to that?

And the comment I made toggle switches or anything else. Any thoughts on that?

And furthermore what do other apps rendering 5.1 simultaneously have to do with this? Whenever my vlc is on dts or DD 5.1 it takes control and no other apps can use the sound anyway.

Sorry Im not an expert, but I really and truly dont understand why you cant implement support for this, and your insulting non-answers or technical mumbo jumbo clearly aren't designed to help or provide support... (OS Audio HAL?? And sorry but the fact that drivers exist for windows or linux definitely DOES NOT mean they exist for mac, too, nor that I, as an end user, would even begin to know how to do something like that)

is there LITERALLY ANY OTHER DEV that could reply or help with these questions, since you clearly don't want to be of assistance?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jun 2018 18:00

I have an old receiver that does not understand eac3 ...
Does it have HDMI input? If so, VLC can decode that to 5.1/7.1 channels.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

napouser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby napouser » 22 Jun 2018 02:47

couple of months ago ver3 was released and i was quite happy to upgrade to it
then one day i was watching twister (1996) with dts sound and it was stereo
some later day accidentally i discover that it was 5.1 and i pretty much lost most of it

that made me go back to 2.2.6 umbrella

since then i go back and forth between 2 and 3 version testing if such issue has been fixed

today due to changing subscriptions from netflix i couldnt see the crown (2017) (ac3) so i decided to dload a torrent for it and since it was 4k i decided to see in all its glory in a brand new ver3 vlc

same problem apparently sound was stereo while ver2 plays all 5.1 channels
u can even figure this out at the very first second of the netflix logo appearing!

this is not a file issue neither a system issue
we are talking about 2 different versions of vlc running at the same time using the same system same speakers same settings same tv

ver 2.2.6 plays 5.1 fine
ver 3 plays stereo

plz fix

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”