Buffer problem: hangs when too much lag

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
cellocgw

Buffer problem: hangs when too much lag

Postby cellocgw » 10 Dec 2005 17:05

I saw the note over in the OSX forum about increasing the buffer size under the prefs accessmodules/file . So far, it isn't working for me.
I've assigned as much as 20 seconds to the buffer, but here's what happens:
The source file is on one machine which is hardwired to my router (an iMacG4 if that matters). I'm receiving the stream on a WiFi Dell laptop. The movie will play OK for a while, but whenever the buffer runs low, or at least I think that's what happens, the movie freezes and never recovers.
The log file says something like "frames late for more than 5 seconds."

Anyway, is there some way to get VLC to continue playing once the buffer catches up? For that matter, do I need to adjust some setting so that VLC knows to keep acquiring data from the remote machine? I can't tell whether VLC just drops the connection once the buffer empties (or whatever causes that error message).

Thanks for all help.
Carl

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 15 Dec 2005 14:22

Hello,

Basically, this is probably the single most critical problem in VLC these days: it can't "stop" to "wait the buffer". Changing this will definitely be done, but it is quite complex...
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”