VLC via new Amazon Fire Stick

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
PlectruM
New Cone
New Cone

VLC via new Amazon Fire Stick

Postby PlectruM » 09 Apr 2017 21:05

Hello

So far I have been able to remedy my issues with VLC by uninstalling the app and rebooting my home wi-fi when trying to stream from my Apple Time Capsule, but since buying the new Fire Stick I have been unable to use it at all.

After downloading the app and then trying to run it I enter the local network tab in order to access my files but it (a) does not show my Time Capsule (TC) name which is 'nertc' but instead shows 'NERTC' and (b) when clicking the NERTC tab it then prompts for a password without letting me enter my username, leaving the app hanging and unable for use.

I know from recent experience that the TC is case sensitive and I no longer have it named as NERTC (and have not had it that way for a number of weeks if not months) and my older Fire Stick (which I use in another room) immediately recognises the TC and displays 'nertc' when accessing the local network.

I have also never had any issues with username and password screens before now and so I am puzzled as to what the issue is?

I will also add that I often have problems streaming from the TC upstairs (but never in my living room) and would like to know if there is any way to fix this?

Any help is appreciated and I hope this will get resolved soon.... :?

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: VLC via new Amazon Fire Stick

Postby zcot » 14 Apr 2017 06:25

check the vlc version on your old fire stick compared to the new stick.

AnonymousODG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AnonymousODG » 16 Apr 2017 02:37

I have the same problem when trying to stream from my local network on smb connections.

I had been streaming movies from my laptop successfully without issue not just a few weeks ago. When I tried again recently, I was met with the username and password screens and before I can enter either, the app hangs.

I have not changed any permissions or any networks or the firestick or anything.

I am new to these forums but so far, a search through google has led me to only a single result which is the OP. How do you submit a request for the vlc team to investigate this issue?

nwillc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nwillc » 25 May 2017 03:05

I've both and old and new fireStick, and VLC worked previously but now seeing:

- The issue described below where when I try to enter user/password on an SMB mount it leaps into a dead end text entry panel
- No longer plays files streamed to it that previously worked.

AnonymousODG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AnonymousODG » 29 May 2017 08:47

Has anything been done about this?

mpeg-lover
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mpeg-lover » 04 Jul 2017 08:45

Look at this topic: Fire TV: can't enter authentication for SMB share in "VLC for Anbdroid and Chrome OS" forum.

Seems to be solved.

If not: Try to use "amazon Fire TV" app for remotely enter credentials.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”