VLC MIGHT DISAPPEAR

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
VLC MIGHT DISAPPEAR

VLC MIGHT DISAPPEAR

Postby VLC MIGHT DISAPPEAR » 02 Dec 2005 20:01

I just read the story that the best mediaplayer I have ever seen might disappear because of an European law.
THAT'S A BIG SLAP IN THE FACE FOR OPEN SOURCE and is against everything so many people have worked for for years.

My idea:
Just rent a server at the SEALAND platform. They are their own country and are not under the European right. Host a server at this platforn!

Zorinlynx

Postby Zorinlynx » 03 Dec 2005 00:40

If that can't be done... Can the DVD module simply be removed from the main VLC distribution, and be distributed seperately from a country that doesn't have gestapo laws like this?

It's pretty sick how you can go to jail for THREE YEARS just for TALKING about how to bypass these protections... Does France have any sort of free speech legislation that can be used to fight this?

As a US citizen, I find it apalling that other countries are following our crappy example. I'm ashamed of my country for having laws like this, and was hoping that at least other countries wouldn't follow suit. :(

-Z

sakis

Postby sakis » 03 Dec 2005 03:21

I'm from Greece and i fully support VLC, i believe it's a great open source software and i hope everything is going to be o.k!

byfixar

Postby byfixar » 04 Dec 2005 08:26

I dont understand how some countries can be so stupid. Argh.. VLC will never die on my heart and will allways be installed on my computer. No laws can stop me from have the greatest video player on my computer. All I have to say is «just bring all your laws, I dont care.»

But just get the server in a different country. They have no rights of take you down if you set it up in a country that doesnt have to follow stupid rules. Thats why torrentsites from sweden cant go down.

rustedshut

Postby rustedshut » 07 Dec 2005 19:42

I've been using Mac VLC for at least a year. It's the best god damned player out there. Being a US citizen I cannot vouche for how likely this is to pass. This kind of technological law is almost as radical as you can get. I'm not saying to relax completely. Definitely get whatever representation you can to fight this. Although, I doubt that it will go as far as stated.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 08 Dec 2005 11:41

Hello,

SEALAND (well, HavenCo, actually) is a bit too expensive for us (several thousands $ per month for a few Mbps) :)

Zorinlynx: yes, free speech is of course available in France (it's in the Constitution), but it must not be against the law. You cannot freely advocate terrorism, racism, ... So, TCPM advocating will be too.

We can remove the DVD module, of course. We haven't made a decision on this matter yet.

rustedshut: I also doubt. But it is anyway a very serious legal threat that could be used against us.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

FORCE

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2005 23:17

Include dvd module but without decryption, many dvd-s has no decryption and home camera dvd-s too.

zorglub

Postby zorglub » 12 Dec 2005 23:37

Hello,

The not-so-bad news is that, to comply with DMCA, we already have partly separated decryption support from the main binary.

But anyway, that does not change anything to the fact that this law is a very dangerous towards censorship and monopoly of the majors
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”