Is there a way to save color settings?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
user1554
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Win 7 SP1

Is there a way to save color settings?

Postby user1554 » 21 Feb 2017 04:39

I would like to save such settings as hue, brightness, contrast, saturation and gamma.

Is there any way to save a set or sets of such settings?

Or do I have to keep an index card handy to record settings?

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Is there a way to save color settings?

Postby kodela » 21 Feb 2017 13:53

For setting the filter: Menu > Tools > Preferences > All > Video > Filters -> Image properties filter

For setting the parameters: ... Video > Filters > Image adjust

user1554
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Win 7 SP1

Postby user1554 » 22 Feb 2017 06:28

I have some image color settings, brightness, contrast, saturation, and gamma that seem to work for most videos that I view.

I started VLC with no open file.

I reset the preferences with menu, tools, preferences, reset preferences, and OK.

I the went to menu, tools, preferences, video, all settings, video, filters, image adjust. The spinners were set at 1 for image contrast, image brightness, image saturation, and image gamma. Image hue was zero.

I reset all the image property spinners to my desired values. I clicked the save command box.

After exiting preferences, I went back and confirmed that the settings were as I had changed them.

Continuing with no open file, I went to menu, tools, effects and filters, video effects, essential. Image adjust was unchecked. The image adjust controls in the dialog box were set as I had just set them above.

I opened VLC without a file.

I started a video and paused it. The colors needed adjustment. I opened menu, tools, effects and filters, video effects. The sliders were as I had left them. I clicked image adjust. My settings improved the picture but were not perfect. I increased the contrast, and decreased the gamma. In many of the scenes the difference between adjust and no adjustment was significant. I was happy.

I closed VLC player, and started it again.

I started another video. I returned to menu, tools, preferences, video, all, filters, image adjust, and observed that the values that I had originally set were gone and replaced with the new settings that I had made viewing the previous video. I canceled out the dialog box. I closed VLC player.

I then started VLC player again and played a new video. I looked at menu, tools, effects and filters, video effects, essential. The sliders were set as I had left them in the previous video. I went to menu, tools, video, all, filters, image adjust. The numbers were not what I had set originally but those of the last video as I had adjusted it. It looks like the settings that I have saved were lost when I readjusted the sliders in the image adjust section in the adjustments and effects dialog box. I had lost the numbers that I had wanted to keep permanently and not have to refer to an index card every time I started playing videos.

How can I save and get back the numbers that I entered originally and later changed for another video without having to keep an index card with those values next to my computer.

With image adjust off, It also appears that VLC always starts videos with the 1 preference default settings described above. Is that correct?

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 22 Feb 2017 11:04

The VLC overwrites the old settings with new settings.

All settings are stored in the configuration file vlcrc. You can make a backup copy of this file.

You can also create different configuration files and start the VLC with a certain configuration file.

To do this, the VLC must be passed when calling the parameter string --config="path_of_the_configuration file",
for example:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --config = "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlcrc_color_01"

Create various shortcuts on the desktop.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”