VLC 2.0.0 and speed control

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Re: VLC 2.0.0 and speed control

Postby auralarch » 09 May 2014 16:00

A module to manipulate the pitch (separate from tempo) would make a fantastic & useful plugin. I'm surprised someone hasn't implemented such a control already (to my knowledge). Perhaps there are technical challenges or limitations that I'm unaware of.

I would also really like to see a plugin or some provision that would allow customization of "how much" (% rate) that playback was changed by the hotkeys- similar to how one can customize the length/sizes of the various jumps when skipping back or ahead during playback (although I wish that control would accept 'partial'(fractions of a) second).
I understand that it's possible to start VLC from the command line & specify very detailed playback rates. I'm not sure if the rate can be changed instantaneously via the command line during playback with an accuracy down to 3 decimal points (as described above by a developer). If so, I could use other software such as autohotkey to create scripts activated by shortcuts which would give me a bit more control.
I've tried the slider, it's a great idea, but I've found it difficult, clumsy & unpredictable to use for very fine adjustments to playback speed. Although this could be improved by assigning modifier keys (e.i. shift, control, etc.) that would make adjustments to the slider "fine" or "course" while they were being pressed.

I realize that I am FAR from the typical/average user & that the features I wish for are only likely to be found in high-end, expensive software.
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

nonzyro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Debian Linux

Postby nonzyro » 05 Oct 2016 10:42

Well, on this topic, let me once again bring up a speed control problem: The rc interface does not work with the commands "faster" and "slower".

Works fine:

Code: Select all

echo "pause" | telnet localhost 1234
Doesn't do a thing, not output in the console I started VLC from either:

Code: Select all

echo "faster" | telnet localhost 1234
(FYI: I will continue posting about until someone contacts me with a ticket number, or at least acknowledges the problem ;p )
64bit: Debian 8 / VLC 2.2.4 / 4GB RAM / i5 430M / 512MB VRAM / Radeon HD5470

One time Randy's mom grew her nails really long and then she got an iPhone, but she couldn't use it so she had to have her nails cut but they had to use a chainsaw and they accidentally cut off her fingers and they sowed them back on backwards by accident and now her hands look weird and that's my 400 character limit

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Jan 2018 19:59

(FYI: I will continue posting about until someone contacts me with a ticket number, or at least acknowledges the problem ;p )
Why not create a ticket yourself then? https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”