The best codec for HomeLAN

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
LarryN
New Cone
New Cone

The best codec for HomeLAN

Postby LarryN » 26 Nov 2005 15:52

Hello,

I have small LAN at mu home. In VLC case two computers are important:

1) Athlon 1400MHz +512Mb
2) iMac 350MHz + 192Mb

I'm playing movies at the Athlon, but watching them at the iMac. So I'm interesting which codec are the best to transfer over LAN, from quite powerful to poor machine. It means I can transfer a lot of date from one machine to other, and I would like to make most of decode work at Athlon machine.
At the moment I'm using MPGV1 but ii failed for some codec. It means that I cannot recode some (all?) DX50 and DIVX files. I've got Linux on both machines.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 27 Nov 2005 10:18

Hello,

mp2v or mp4v should suit your needs
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

jodeon

you may not need to recode...

Postby jodeon » 03 Dec 2005 02:51

I assume you're playing DVDs on the Athlon, right? Well, theoretically, the DVD stream itself tops out at around 9 Mbits/sec, which your local area network should be able to handle. I would also suspect that the iMac could handle DVD bitrates as well. So have you tried sending movies without transcoding?

Otherwise, if you really want to re-encode, I think mp4v would be best. Note that the DVD stream is already MPEG2, and re-encoding it to a lower bitrate would reduce quality, while you may be able to maintain quality at a lower bitrate with MP4.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”