Stretch VLC window according to the aspect ratio

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
morice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: The last one
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bits

Stretch VLC window according to the aspect ratio

Postby morice » 13 Mar 2015 21:31

Hello, please forgive my poor english,

On Windows OS, if i stretch the VLC window, VLC will just create black bars to compensate the difference between how large the video must be and how large the VLC window is.

I mean if I stretch the VLC windows up/down or left/right, VLC will create black bars.
So even though I'm playing 16:9, which is a rectangular shape, I can stretch the VLC window into a big square and it will create black bars for the parts of the window that the video doesn't fill.

I would like to stretch the video according to the aspect ratio (always have a 16:9 window when stretching it).
I mean if i stretch it on the right side it will automatically do it also verticaly to keep the window adapted/fit to 16:9 without black bar.

I found no setting for this and no topic about this in the forum, thanks for help.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Stretch VLC window according to the aspect ratio

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Mar 2015 11:29

This is not supported so far.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

morice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: The last one
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bits

Postby morice » 16 Mar 2015 19:37

Ok thanks.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

q4blue
New Cone
New Cone

Postby q4blue » 20 Mar 2015 04:22

A different work-around could be to use the scaling keyboard hotkeys. To increase scale the default hotkey is alt-o, decrease is shift-alt-o. This is similar to zoom (hotkey z) but in smaller increments. VLC must be in a window, not fullscreen and the 'resize interface to video size' (fit to window) must be set (interface setting). This will not work in v2.2.0 when VLC is started in fullscreen mode (preferences, video setting), but is not a problem with v2.1.5 or older.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”