Display Filename in playlist & initial playback of video

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Props
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.0 WeatherWax
Operating System: Vista 32

Display Filename in playlist & initial playback of video

Postby Props » 08 Mar 2015 21:49

I have thousands of videos and have spent the time organizing my media by filename in this format
SHOW - SxxExx - EPISODE NAME.

I have done this, because of partial, broken meta data. Using ABC tag editor and other tools, I've just given up and found the directory/filename structure is MUCH easier!
Conveniently VLC is my one stop media player, where others require conflicting codec packs. What I've found in other media players, are usually a one or two options that easily display the filename rather meta data. Isn't there an option in VLC that's just as easy? Lol, why haven't I found it!?

Okay, to start, I've found various solutions, non of which are permanent fixes. From adding $F, to disabling meta data and other similar options, as well as deleting this folder
%Program Files%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\

What I've done, using various solutions here in the forum's and elsewhere online, is the ability to start VLC, add media to the playlist and begin playback, displaying the full filename in both the playlist and initial playback of said media. The problem is, once I save the playlist, close and then open VLC, the playlist no longer displays the filename. It looks like this
SxxExx - Episode Name
Initial payback also places the show name at the end.
SxxExx - Episode Name - Show

I've can't seen to figure out what I'm missing. Like I said, initially, the filename's are displayed properly, but after saving the playlist and opening VLC again, the playlist displays partial meta data.

Please help me!! I have an awesome setup, using a RF remote to control my computer that's wired using an hdmi cable to my 1080p television. The problem is, VLC has a bunch of issues I'm trying to resolve, one at a time.
Last edited by Props on 09 Mar 2015 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Display Filename in playlist & initial playback and video

Postby mederi » 09 Mar 2015 13:06

This is not solved yet. The related topic: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120417

Props
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Display Filename in playlist & initial playback of video

Postby Props » 09 Mar 2015 19:18

Hopefully, within the next few days, I'll compile all of partial fixes here, so we, the community can possibly figure this out.

Props
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Props » 09 Mar 2015 22:51

1) Find and rename (or delete) the directory and sub-directories, meta, found here:
%Program Files%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\

2) Under Tools -> Preferences -> Show Settings "All" -> Playlist
Unchecked "Automatically Preparse files" & "Allow metadata network access"

3) Under Tools -> Preferences -> Show Settings "All" -> Input / Codecs
At the bottom, next to "Change title according to current media", Change it to, or add $.

Radikinz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Radikinz » 14 Jun 2015 19:09

I title my video files the same way you do and was very frustrated with what order VLC displayed as well as the odd names showing.

I posted my solution in another thread but will link here in case you find this information useful.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p426208

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”