changing network stream through CLI

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Sandeep Malhotra
New Cone
New Cone

changing network stream through CLI

Postby Sandeep Malhotra » 18 Oct 2005 00:38

From the VLC 0.8.2 GUI, I can click on File --> Open Network Stream --> and add the UDP/RTP Multicast address (say 225.25.25.25) and port (1234) and click OK and it displays the stream in the VLC window.

Similar action can be performed through the CLI "vlc udp@225.25.25.25:1234" and the vlc window comes up and plays the streaming video.

Now, from the same GUI instance, if I want to watch another streaming video, I perform the same action "File --> Open Network Stream" and the video switches to the new stream.

I want to do the same action through the CLI though. In other words, once I invoke vlc through CLI, I want to be able to change the stream through CLI itself (on the same GUI window), rather than the GUI way of "File --> Open Network Stream".

So, I am looking for some kind of shell that would allow me to control the VLC window and what stream it is playing. Is something like this possible with VLC.

Thanks.

Sandeep

geo
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby geo » 18 Oct 2005 09:19

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 18 Oct 2005 14:43