Help with DV interlace

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Thierry33
New Cone
New Cone

Help with DV interlace

Postby Thierry33 » 21 Jan 2014 20:03

Hi !

Spent hours on google but I did not find a simple solution.
My wife trains a sport team and needs accurate video to train judges.

We use an old miniDV camera PAL.
When I use DV files with DVD making software, I can't seem to remove the interlace. It's awfull to watch and still images are fuzzy with motion.
Strangely the DV files display nice with windows Media player... But horrible once put to DVD on TV :(

Playing those DV files with VLC with interlaced ON and Yadif2X seems to produce very sharp and nice video.
I'd like to resave them just like that, in a DVD autoring friendly format (I guess I can't save DV non interlace ? that is not compatible with DV codec ?)

Still when I try to convert a file with VLC I can't find a way to save them with this option.
I tried advanced control and the red save button to save the video I read with Yadif 2X but the result seems to be still interlaced as if the filter was not saved (and still DV format).

So please, please, could someone tell me (I'm a bit lost in all those formats :) ) :

1. What is the best way to convert DV files with best interlaced for DVD Autoring ?
-> Like Saving in MPEG2 with Yadif 2X interlaced the files with VLC ? Or any other format that prevents too much quality loss and is usable for DVD autoring (H.264 ? DivX ? MPEG ?)
2. Is there a way to batch convert a lot of DV files with VLC once I'm satisfied with the options ?

PS by the way : any simple free dvd autoring software advice ? Using Win 8 I tried DVDStyler but the interlace option of this software seemd to do no good to my DV files...

Thanks a lot in advance

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Help with DV interlace

Postby kodela » 21 Jan 2014 23:44

Hi!

Convert video with deinterlacing filter:

- Preferences -> All -> Video -> Filters: select Deinterlacing video filter
- Preferences -> All -> Video -> Filters -> Deinterlace: select for Streaming deinterlace the option Yadif (2x)
- Preferences -> All -> Stream output -> Sout stream -> Transcode: select Deinterlacing video filter
- close preferences with clicking the Save-button
- Exit and restart VLC
- Menu -> Media -> Convert / Save...
- File selection -> Add..: Your video-file, then: Convert / Save-button
- select the Profile
- select Destination file
- Start-button for converting the file

After conversion, all settings must be undone.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”