How to watch 3D SBS in VLC 2.0 and higher

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Tesseract83233
New Cone
New Cone

How to watch 3D SBS in VLC 2.0 and higher

Postby Tesseract83233 » 10 Sep 2012 01:08

Hi everybody!
I'm new to the board and hope I'm posting in the right category ;)

So here was my Problem:
I got a 3D side-by-side MKV-Movie but I only have a 2D TV - my question was how to get only the picture of the "left eye" in fullscreen with the right aspect ratio?

And after about an hour of playing around... that's how I solved it:

1. Start VLC (you don't have to play a video at this time)
2. Go to "Tools" -> "Preferences" (CTRL+P on Windows)
3. On the lower left corner choose "Show settings" -> "All"
4. On the left part of the settings window, scroll down and select "Video"
5. On the right part of the settings window, scroll down to "Source aspect ratio"
6. Type in the aspect ratio with the width doubled - for example 32:9 for a 16:9 video, or 8:3 for a 4:3 video...
7. Click "Save" and exit VLC
---Keep in mind that the changed aspect ratio will be saved for all your videos - remove it after watching 3D or your normal videos might seem to be a bit stretched ;) ---
8. Start VLC and play your 3D video, pause somewhere at the start
9. If you don't already know, check your video resolution under "Tools" -> "Media Information" (CTRL+I on Windows) -> "Codec"
9. Go to "Tools" -> "Effects and Filters" (CTRL+E on Windows)
10. Go to "Video Effects" -> "Crop"
11. On "Right" type in the half of your horizontal pixels
for example: 1920x1080 ---> 1920/2 = 960 px or: 1280x720 ---> 1280/2 = 640 px
12. Click on "Close", hit "Play" and enjoy your movie in 2D ;D

I'm not sure if there's an easier way to solve this, but maybe I can help someone with this! :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How to watch 3D SBS in VLC 2.0 and higher

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Sep 2012 13:50

There is a easier way with wall filter.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Tesseract83233
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tesseract83233 » 26 Sep 2012 17:26

There is a easier way with wall filter.
Wall filter only works in ver. 1.*.*
In ver. 2.*.* it's not working anymore...

gabk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gabk » 30 Sep 2012 10:49

it would be great if we can have this 3D SBS to 2D mode as a shortcut in the zoom or aspect ration menu, so that we can switch fast between the 2 modes.
it is a hassle to have to do all this work to watch a 3d movie (in 2d mode) ...specially when our library has mixed 3d and 2d content.
Maybe this can also be automated in VLC in future version....
Do you know how i can help build this into future versions? i have some limited programming knowledge :(

cowichan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cowichan » 27 Dec 2012 22:27

I'm a little surprised this is an issue with an otherwise excellent viewer. I tried the above-mentioned solution with no luck.

The ability to switch between modes or convert or SBS/3D to 2D should be almost automatic by now I would have thought.

daaceking
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby daaceking » 27 Dec 2012 22:36

corel windvd is theoretically supposed to support sbs 3d bluray and sbs 3d video files. i only mention it because it is hard to get 3d working in a simple way. i know it costs money and may not support every 3d movie because of codecs, but there you go.

on a side note, is bluray half sbs or full sbs?

sebas11tian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sebas11tian » 14 Feb 2013 02:12

I managed to fit it perfectly in my screen. The changes I made were the following:
•Changed aspect ratio to 32:9
• Opened video effects -Window>Video Effects (Cmnd+ E in Mac)
•In the tab "Crop" I set it to crop 960px from the right only. (My screen resolution is 1280x800)
VLC v2.0.5
Mac OS X lion 10.7.5

I hope this is useful. It took me a while to come up with this simple workaround. VLC should definitely include such option by default.
Regards :wink:

cynicman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cynicman » 14 Feb 2013 19:42

Is there not a plug in for VLC that will allow me to play the HSBS in Anaglyphic 3D Red/Cyan. If I can get this right I can convert all my HSBS files to Anaglyph to watch on my TV.

jdkilbury
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jdkilbury » 16 Feb 2013 19:04

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase or decrease separation on a side-by-side 3d file in VLC player? Stereoscopic player has built in separation controls, but I can't seem to locate any on VLC. When I go into 3D mode on my TV, the 3d effect is blurry because the separation needs to be increased (I am using a LG 3DTV through my HTPC setup). The side by side images are too close together and it makes it unwatchable. Thanks.

Spermin8r
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spermin8r » 21 Mar 2013 10:05

I use bino to watch 3D SBS or TAB movies works SUPER (converts to Anaglyph all color modes and multiple tweakings possible) all os supported and FREE
http://www.bino3d.org

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 21 Mar 2013 14:18

Board index ‹ VLC media player ‹ VLC media player Feature Requests:
[How-to] Watch 3D movies (e.g. mkv half-SBS) in 2D

jabbarmu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jabbarmu » 22 Mar 2013 20:38

I managed to fit it perfectly in my screen. The changes I made were the following:
•Changed aspect ratio to 32:9
• Opened video effects -Window>Video Effects (Cmnd+ E in Mac)
•In the tab "Crop" I set it to crop 960px from the right only. (My screen resolution is 1280x800)
VLC v2.0.5
Mac OS X lion 10.7.5

I hope this is useful. It took me a while to come up with this simple workaround. VLC should definitely include such option by default.
Regards :wink:
Hey this is wonderful! I was wondering how exactly did you change the aspect ratio to 32:9 though? Please let me know. Thanks

sebas11tian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sebas11tian » 30 Mar 2013 13:24

The aspect ratio can be changed by going into the preferences of the application, then click on the button that says "Show all" and then go into the Video settings. Scroll down a little and you should find source aspect ratio. Change this value and click "save".
Remember that this will change the aspect ratio for all the media you play. Reset all your settings before watching different content other that the SBS.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 31 Mar 2013 13:37

If there is something like "Custom aspect ratios list" in VLC on Mac, then use that option instead of "Source aspect ratio", so then you do not need to reset settings. You just choose the right AR in VLC menu if necessary: Video > Aspect Ratio > ...

lazcarraga
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lazcarraga » 07 Apr 2013 07:46

The aspect ratio can be changed by going into the preferences of the application, then click on the button that says "Show all" and then go into the Video settings. Scroll down a little and you should find source aspect ratio. Change this value and click "save".
Remember that this will change the aspect ratio for all the media you play. Reset all your settings before watching different content other that the SBS.

Hi, I was reading your post and I am having a hard time finding what you say there. I have VLC Media Player 2.0.5 running on my MacBook Pro 13", and I have OS X 10.8.3, and if I go to Preferences - Show All - Video, there is no such "Source Aspect Ratio" option to manipulate. And if the movie is being played, the menu for source aspect ratio shows other ratios but no the 32:9. Could you show any screenshot of what you are posting? Thanks!

iridius
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iridius » 30 Nov 2013 16:21

If I do this to a 1080p 3D movie, will it effectively make it half quality or 540p (if that even exists)?
I don't have a 3D screen or glasses, but would like to future-proof (as much as possible) my downloads by downloading 1080p 3D movies (as they seem to be the latest & greatest), but if it is halving the quality in my scenario, then I'll just stick to regular 1080p videos.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Dec 2013 23:15

It would make it 1080p, but half width.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

aitte

Postby aitte » 12 Dec 2013 08:33

The double-width aspect ratio (32:9, etc.) can be saved in VLC's Custom aspect ratios list (the fourth line below Source aspect ratio), which appears as an additional option in the Video drop-down list, once the video has begun playing. The Custom crop ratios list is located directly above Source aspect ratio, but I'm not sure if that can be used to store the 960 px right (or left) setting for easy selection after starting to play a video...

Baka no Kami
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Baka no Kami » 16 Dec 2013 12:16

If I do this to a 1080p 3D movie, will it effectively make it half quality or 540p (if that even exists)?
I don't have a 3D screen or glasses, but would like to future-proof (as much as possible) my downloads by downloading 1080p 3D movies (as they seem to be the latest & greatest), but if it is halving the quality in my scenario, then I'll just stick to regular 1080p videos.

Thanks

1080p only really refers to the resolution of a movie, not it's actual quality. We tend to use it to refer to high quality movies because the higher resolution means your can expect a higher data rate and therefore a better picture. If you take a 1080p HSBS movie, cut off one of the sides, and stretch it to the right aspect ratio then it'll still be a 1080p movie because the half you're watching is still 1920x1080. As long as the movie has a pretty high bit rate it'll still look fine.

I made VLC command line shortcuts with the right aspect and cropping for each 3D movie I have (on Windows). That way I don't have to set it each time.

COKEDUDE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby COKEDUDE » 27 Sep 2014 06:45

I found this method and its much quicker and easier.

Tools, Effects and filters, Video effect tab, Use the the scroll bar and go right to advanced, check anaglyph 3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b26FIZ2mZXQ

Logman_PL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Logman_PL » 30 Dec 2016 03:06

I wrote shader for direcx. To use it save code as sbs.hlsl file, go to Tools->Preferences switch Show settings to All and in Video->Output modules->Direct3D check Use hardware blending support, set Pixel Shader to HLSL File and set correct Path to HLSL file. Next restart VLC.

Code: Select all

Texture2D shaderTexture; SamplerState SampleType; struct PS_INPUT { float4 Position : SV_POSITION; float2 Texture : TEXCOORD0; }; float4 main(PS_INPUT In) : SV_TARGET { float2 newCoords; // newCoords = float2(In.Texture.x, In.Texture.y / 2.0); //SBS UP DOWN newCoords = float2(In.Texture.x / 2.0, In.Texture.y); //SBS LEFT RIGHT float4 rgba; rgba = shaderTexture.Sample(SampleType, newCoords); return rgba; }
To switch SBS L-R to U-D comment "newCoords = float2(In.Texture.x / 2.0, In.Texture.y); //SBS LEFT RIGHT" by adding "//" before the line and uncomment "// newCoords = float2(In.Texture.x, In.Texture.y / 2.0); //SBS UP DOWN" by removing "//"

To watch normal movies just set Pixel Shader to Disabled

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”