split a file

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
davitof
New Cone
New Cone

split a file

Postby davitof » 07 Mar 2013 13:50

Hello,

I must be getting dumb but I can't figure this out. I am using vlc 2.0.4 on Windows (but I guess this is not OS-specific). I have video files (mp4 but I guess format does not matter either) I want to extract some video sequences from. I found explanations on the web on how to do this in VLC, but those explanations were obviously for older versions of VLC and I can't manage to do it. How is this to be done with the current version (if it is still possible)?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: split a file

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Mar 2013 01:18

You could use the record button
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

davitof
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davitof » 10 Mar 2013 14:54

Yes, I guess it would work, but obtaining splits with split-second precision would be very difficult to achieve. I just found out that others on the net found the same drawback for this method. What I was looking for is something like what is described here http://www.ehow.com/how_8690780_split-videos-vlc.html but those dialogs seems to have changed since may 2011: The "Partial extract" / "Enable" seems to have been re-labeled to "Show more options", "From" has probably been renamed "Start time", but there is no matching "End time".

Now that I am looking at how the dialog is working, I see that the "Start time" spin changes the value of the :start-time edit option below. A little search on the Net shows me that the corresponding option for the end is :stop-time. So I edit the edit options to the values I need (counting in seconds isn't as easy as counting in minutes:seconds, but a little math and I get my desired value), and I hit "Convert / Save". In the "Convert" dialog which opens now I enter an output file name, and hit "Start". Very disappointing results: I get a new entry "Streaming" in the Playlist, and no output file at all.

Am I on the right track and if so, what am I missing?
Last edited by davitof on 10 Mar 2013 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

davitof
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davitof » 10 Mar 2013 18:03

... so I decided to try another way: command line. I tried the following command:

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -I dummy -vvv "source.mp4" --sout=#transcode:standard{access="file",mux="dummy",dst="%_commanm%.mp4"}
but I get a dialog telling me vlc has crashed, offering me to send a report to the dev team (which I did) and then the dummy window briefly flashes and closes before I have the time to read it and try to guess a possible solution.

I am out of ideas, I quit trying to use vlc to split files.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 10 Mar 2013 20:20

Hi davitof,
In case it may help you, I used recently the last version of the well-known free program Avidemux (sourceforge) version 2.6.1 dated 2012-12-21, to quickly extract some sequences from a big mp4 file [x264-AC3], without reencoding.

All went fine with the following parameters :
Video Output : Copy
Audio Output : Copy
Output Format : MP4v2 Muxer (because Mp4Muxer didn't work for me)
Mark beginning...
Mark end...
Record

As they wrote in the Version history : "Various improvements to MP4, FLV and MPEG-PS/TS demuxers"
That's very true, as I never was able to split mp4 with older versions of Avidemux. Only the last version did it.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”