Starting VLC using Scene filter image numbers?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
johngr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Starting VLC using Scene filter image numbers?

Postby johngr » 19 Sep 2012 21:13

Is there a way to use the image numbers from the file names generated by the Scene filter output module to start VLC playing at the image number where a selected image was generated?

Or, alternatively, is there a setting that tells the Scene filter to encode the number of seconds where the image was captured, so that it would then be possible to invoke VLC with --start-time=<number of seconds>?

Or, alternatively, is there an equivalent command line option to --start-time, such as --start-imagenumber=<imagenumber>?

Or, alternatively, is there some other way of automatically generating a whole bunch of screen captures from a video, and then using the generated file names to later start VLC playing at the location corresponding to any of the captured images?

I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I looked through lots of documentation and websites without being able to find a way to do it.

Thanks!

johngr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Starting VLC using Scene filter image numbers?

Postby johngr » 19 Sep 2012 23:27

I think I may have solved my own problem.

I think the information at http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... mat_String will be sufficient for me to figure out how to format the --scene-prefix string so that I can parse out sufficient information to start VLC at the time corresponding to a specific screen capture, or close enough.

johngr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby johngr » 20 Sep 2012 01:08

Nope.

It looks like VLC does not work as per the documentation at http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... mat_String .

The doc says that format string variables can be used with "--scene-prefix in 1.0.0 and newer".

However, after extensive testing, the format string variables do not appear to work with --scene-prefix in 2.0.2.

For example, setting --scene-prefix=f$T_ results in file names like f$T_00001.png. Same problem with the other variables I tried (both time and meta).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better solution to the original problem?

johngr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby johngr » 20 Sep 2012 19:43

Still no luck at creating file names from the Scene filter that can be parsed for starting time information so that VLC can be started at the location where the image was captured (e.g. via the --start-time option).

Two other possibilities I've tried which seemed like they might work but I couldn't get to work are:

1) Find a way to force VLC to play the video at a specific frame rate (e.g. always play at 30 fps, no matter what the video thinks it should be played at), so that the Scene filter image number would correspond to a specific time. Since I capture the images with --vout=dummy and --aout=dummy, I don't care about the movie's actual playback, so long as I can deduce the time to start VLC at that corresponds to a specific image captured by the Scene filter.

2) Create a log file, then parse the log file for the frame rate information.

The problems with these 2 approaches:

1) I couldn't find an option that forces VLC to play at a specific frame rate no matter what type of video it is.

2) I couldn't find any information in the log file about the frames per second that the video should be played at.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”