Problems when seeking using v2.0.1

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Quimbly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Problems when seeking using v2.0.1

Postby Quimbly » 05 Jul 2012 06:25

Ever since upgrading to version 2.0, I've experienced problems when seeking. The problems are exacerbated when seeking throughout large files. The performance is very bad. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds or more for the video to recover after seeking a long way (e.g. from start to mid-way through a 60-minute clip). It's not with all videos, just some encodings (I think, but I don't know which).

Another quirk is that when I seek more than once or twice in short order, the time pop-up indicator doesn't refresh, and so I see many overlapping time indicators.

If I use Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player, and perform the same seeking operations, there are no problems, so that rules out a bad codec or my computer.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Can I downgrade to VLC version 1.x? I didn't notice this problem then.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Problems when seeking using v2.0.1

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2012 18:44

What are the formats?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Quimbly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Quimbly » 17 Jul 2012 19:56

Not sure exactly what you mean by formats, but if it's file type you're asking about, they were .avi or .mkv.

I've downgraded to VLC 1.1.9 and I don't have any problem seeking. I think I'll stick with the old version for a while, before upgrading to 2.x again. I love VLC, but v2 has some serious issues.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 18 Jul 2012 14:22

What is the nature of the problem? The seek is (relatively) fast but you have macroblocks everywhere or the player just hangs for a long period before it starts a correct video? or both?

Quimbly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Quimbly » 18 Jul 2012 19:41

Just hangs, basically. Maybe in the v1.x I seem to remember a little time indicator that showed you when the video stalled and was buffering. Although, that may only have been when I was streaming the video over my WLAN. Anyway, I didn't see that in v2. The files I was viewing were local on the machine I was viewing them on.

No "macroblocking", if I understand what you mean by there. When I tried to seek, there was no audio, and nothing happening in the display window -- just the last frame, frozen, before I clicked to seek. The app didn't deadlock or "hang", per se. I could still close the app and open the menus with immediate response time. The video and audio were just stopped, and wouldn't resume for 10-20 seconds. Strange!

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 19 Jul 2012 11:39

Could you please share the logs? Tools->Messages set verbosity to 2 then start playback.

To fix many mkv problems the seek precision has been improved but it is heavier on the CPU. You can also try to enable GPU decoding, save and restart vlc.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”