How Can the Blind Use the Customize Interface Dialog?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SpeedyChair
New Cone
New Cone

How Can the Blind Use the Customize Interface Dialog?

Postby SpeedyChair » 07 Jun 2012 05:12

This great dialog is not accessible to blind or visually impaired users. As far as I can tell, the controls are dragged and dropped onto different toolbars. The various controls are identified, but the toolbar areas are not! Drag and Drop is not available in most screen readers. JAWS for Windows from FreedomScientific.com is the only one I know that provides it. However, it does not work most of the time and I have only heard of advanced users attempting so. The toolbar areas are not in the Tab order and there is no way to find the correct location with the JAWS cursor or the orca flat review (mouse) to drop the control.

In the normal QT interface, is it possible to move from toolbar from the keyboard with F6 or something? I can not even test this since I do not even know if I have any toolbars visible or what would be in them.

I want to be able to get time info about the audio playing from the status bar. Is this possible? Would it it be possible for someone to configure this and pass along the necessary Windows/ Ubuntu preferences files that store this?

Now VLC Player's normal QT interface is accessible within gnome shell and Unity 2D desktops using the orca screen reader!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How Can the Blind Use the Customize Interface Dialog?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jun 2012 15:45

Indeed, very likely you cannot use it with a screen reader.

You can modify manually the value in your vlc configure folder in the vlc-qt-interface.conf/ini file, but this is very hard to understand.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”