Filename NOT showing at start of playback

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Guerrer0
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Filename NOT showing at start of playback

Postby Guerrer0 » 06 Jun 2011 15:49

Confirmed. If you load the files from a playlist (it doesn't matter if m3u, m3u8 or xspf) filenames are shown correctly.

Zheitk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zheitk » 13 Sep 2011 04:36

I'm playing an old Stargate SG1 rip and the old VLC used to display the file names, since the change the playlist is unusable with certain files. The entire rip I have has this in the title bar: "#Stargate-SG1-Sweden & #nandub on DALnet" VLC now displays this as the name for every episode in the playlist
I came here because the same problem with the same Stargate release LOL, But mine it's slightly more problematic:
I use vlc more than anything because you can customize the name of the screenshots, so I use this string:

Code: Select all

%Y-%m-%d - $N [$T] n°
and the screenshot used to be like this:
2011-09-07 - XFiles - 02x24_Our Town.Falcon-Victory.inter-latino.avi [00_04_10] n°00004
[date taken, filename, stamp-time, sequence]

But with that stargate file (and others that use tags) I get something like this (on all the season files):
2011-09-12 - #Stargate-sg1-sweden & #nandub on DALnet [00_00_07] n°00001

But I would prefer it this way:
2011-09-12 - Stargate SG-1 S03x04 - Legado.avi [00_00_07] n°00001

This is because VLC uses the title in the tag of the video, if present, instead of the filename, both in the Title bar, screenshots name and playlist item (fffuuuu)

Anyway, an option to let the user decide what to show as the title would be perfect:
1.- Use the title tag
2.- Filename with extension
3.- Filename without extension
4.- Full path
etc

New Cone

Postby registriert » 25 Oct 2011 01:45

hi

if you rename your file from xxxx.S02E05.xxxx.avi to xxxx.s02e05.xxxx.avi (use small letters) it works :)

Szasz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Szasz » 28 Oct 2011 11:50

I use 1.1.4 as newer versions usually have some annoying "feature" (bug) I can not tolerate. Also interesting that the forum did not let me to register when I noticed those bugs. Not important.

Same problem with Stargate seasons ("#Stargate-SG1-Sweden & #nandub on DALnet" shows as title on enqued files as it is written in the file's tag) thus rendering the sort function unusable (same names can not be ordered).

Shame on VLC I had to use a free 3rd party software (abcAVI Tag Editor) to solve this problem as VLC's tag editing just do not work on these files. (Tag titles reset at playing or at reopening)

AaronR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AaronR » 15 Jan 2012 04:01

I've just noticed this too, it is nothing to do with tags whatsoever and I'm not using a playlist; it is definitely the filename being shown:

"ShowName - S01E01 - EpisodeName"
shows in the title-bar as:
"ShowName - S01E01"

Whereas:
"ShowName - s01e01 - EpisodeName"
shows in the title-bar as:
"ShowName - s01e01 - EpisodeName"

As you can see the filename is being passed through some sort of filter rather than just be simply displayed.

I realise the developers are busy people so I'm going to have a look at the code myself (if it isn't too advanced for me).

Guerrer0
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Guerrer0 » 20 Feb 2012 10:38

I finally figured out the resolution.
The behaviour with the filename comes from a lua script for metadata.

Just remove the file (or rename the extension) %Program Files%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac and the problem is gone.

Zheitk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zheitk » 21 Feb 2012 03:40

The code in the file seems to make sense (vlc.item:set_meta("title", showName.." S"..seasonNumber.."E"..episodeNumber)), but this is still not working with me (vlc 1.1.9 / xp sp3). I don't know how to script vlc with lua, but probably a script can force the track title to be the filename.

Guerrer0
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Guerrer0 » 21 Feb 2012 14:12

Don't know why it's not working for you. Maybe the file has some kind of tags.
I'm also not familiar with lua, but as I understand the source, this should do the trick:

function read_meta() local metas = vlc.item:metas() local name = metas["filename"]; vlc.item:set_meta("title", name) end
A short test shows that it seems to work, but i don't know if it overrides tags.

Just copy it in a in a textfile named filename.lua and copy it to the given folder (removing the filename.luac file).

Edit:
Btw, I think VLC 2.0 has an option to not use tags in files. (Preferences -> All -> Playlist)

Zheitk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zheitk » 21 Feb 2012 21:39

I just updated to 2.0, and the filename.lua file was replaced with a compiled filename.luac file (can't read it). Now instead of the title tag showing in the titlebar, I have a stripped version of the filename:

"ShowName - s01e01 - EpisodeName.ext" => "ShowName S01E01"
Removing it solves the problem for a mkv file with file tag (now it shows the filename.ext ñ_ñ), but not for an avi.
Don't know why it's not working for you. Maybe the file has some kind of tags.I'm also not familiar with lua, but as I understand the source, this should do the trick:Code: Select allfunction read_meta()    local metas = vlc.item:metas()    local name = metas["filename"];    vlc.item:set_meta("title", name)endA short test shows that it seems to work, but i don't know if it overrides tags.Just copy it in a in a textfile named filename.lua and copy it to the given folder (removing the filename.luac file).Edit:Btw, I think VLC 2.0 has an option to not use tags in files. (Preferences -> All -> Playlist)
It doesn't work for me T_T (use abcAVI to change the title tag in an AVI)

turbine
New Cone
New Cone

Postby turbine » 24 Mar 2012 16:14

Hi all,

I also registered to chime in on this and back up those who have been suggesting for over a year this bug be fixed with an option to simply NOT parse the filenames. I can also confirm the workaround for this poor design is to delete the .lua file described above.

Like many others, I'm disappointed at the attitude of the developer, who simply doesn't seem to "get it". He proceeds as if file parsing is a critical required usecase for playback, and blames the files for not being constructed properly instead of his code for not dealing with a common contingency, when it could be solved simply by making the parsing optional, or at a minimum adding a filename field as a display option. This attitude is an example of what has long been one of the primary problems with software development, developers designing for themselves or other developers and not with end-users in mind. This is a free app, but that doesn't negate the importance of designing for end-users, particularly with such a widely-used otherwise excellent, highly flexible app.

To clarify the simple solution:

1) Under Tools -> Preferences -> All (radio button) -> Playlist. Change "Automatically Preparse files" checkbox to a dropdown labeled "Playlist display options:" with three options:
. a) "Automaticaly preparse files when added to playlist"
. b) "Parse files when played"
. c) "Do not parse files"

2) Add filename, title, and perhaps number to display options, with "number" (or perhaps "#" or "item") being in the order of items being added. Currently "title", often parsed incorrectly, is not optional, and it also appears impossible to sort the playlist by the order-added.

In summary, the decision to force this parsed, sorted playlist on users was a bad one due to the inherent problems with parsing. The fact this bug has existed for so long is a reminder to developers to always, always, always listen to users and not treat them dismissively. Fix the above omissions, and it's great, and deals effectively with files which do not parse well, something beyond the control of code.

Peace,
turbine

Jonneh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jonneh » 30 Mar 2012 19:13

Just because I saw this thread and realised I had to come up with my own solution:

http://abcavi.kibi.ru/download.htm

Used this to open every avi on my computer at once and blank all the tag info, so that VLC resumed displaying the filename in playlist view in the absence of any tag data.

Toddler Naruto
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby Toddler Naruto » 28 Apr 2012 10:25

I have also been having this problem too, I would love for there to be an option in VLC, that if checked, would show the filename I gave the video, instead of the "encoding filename" that avidemux spits out.

(I am NOT the encoder of the videos I watch, I just download them)

tomray
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomray » 04 May 2012 00:08

I am plagued mostly with the amc title. abcAVI Tag Editor seems great... can do mass exterminations.. would rather have no tags. Still can't access properties summery simple.... but that's another apologue.. thanks. (its all my fault)

lalala
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lalala » 25 Jun 2012 12:00

Yet another example of the developers complete uselessness. Every time I google a problem with VLC: arrogance. It's.. astounding.

Someone suggested deleting filename.lua, I deleted the whole meta folder. Seems to work just fine, and now there's no inane fluff. Of course, I'm still using 1.1.something. Who wants to update when the only ever 'improvement' is more bugs and arrogance?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jun 2012 16:06

Who wants to update when the only ever 'improvement' is more bugs and arrogance?
Who wants to work on a volunteer project when the only thing we get is insults and agressivity from users like yourself?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

lalala
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lalala » 26 Jun 2012 08:27

Who wants to update when the only ever 'improvement' is more bugs and arrogance?
Who wants to work on a volunteer project when the only thing we get is insults and agressivity from users like yourself?
Ad nauseam. This thread is YEARS old, everyone else has been a lot nicer than me, so don't pretend like your arrogance isn't a major factor here.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jun 2012 13:33

Ad nauseam. This thread is YEARS old, everyone else has been a lot nicer than me, so don't pretend like your arrogance isn't a major factor here.
Not fixing the bugs that matter to you is not arrogance.
This is an open source project. Bugs get fixed if people contribute.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Jun 2012 16:38

VLC developers cannot fix bugs in files that they did not encode. The bug comes from stupid and/or obnoxious encoding software.

Even if there was an option to show the file name instead of the title from the meta data, most users would not know where to find it, or even what it really does. And if VLC showed the file name always, users would complain that it is less legible than the media title. We simply cannot please everyone.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Zheitk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zheitk » 28 Jun 2012 22:11

VLC developers cannot fix bugs in files that they did not encode. The bug comes from stupid and/or obnoxious encoding software.
I thought it was because of the tags, no matter what software was used to encode or label O_o.
Even if there was an option to show the file name instead of the title from the meta data, most users would not know where to find it, or even what it really does. And if VLC showed the file name always, users would complain that it is less legible than the media title. We simply cannot please everyone.
Users that want/need it will surely find it (I usually search all the advanced options). Anyway, ¿can a Lua script solve this?
pd: those users are really aggressive, I hope this is resolved in spite of them

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Jun 2012 06:58

This bug is due to crappy encoding software that writes their own name as the title of the encoded file. This is either a bug in the encoder, or a deliberate lame attempt at advertising. There is nothing we can do in VLC about that. People encoding videos need to learn to use DECENT software.

There are several thousands of VLC configuration options. Users will not find one particular bug-to-bug compatibility option, unless they know it exists. And most users don't come to the fora so they don't know.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jun 2012 09:01

No, even without the presence of any tag VLC is not showing the filename under certains conditions as described here:
viewtopic.php?p=340794#p340794

It is actually still not fixed.

joshdenyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joshdenyer » 04 Jul 2012 10:08

+1 the devs on this thread will never be happy

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Jul 2012 15:27

It is fixed in 2.1, no?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Zheitk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zheitk » 04 Jul 2012 20:57

It is fixed in 2.1, no?
So I just tested the latest nightly (it used my actual vlc2.0.1 configuration, maybe a clean, portable vlc would be more usefull) and find this:

I use some tag-less random mkv, mp4 and avi files:
They show the filename correctly, so I use abcAVI to change the "Title" and "Director" tags in the avi (don't know an app to edit tags in mp4/mkv), vlc shows the director and then the title tag (Director - Title)... but it shows the filename if just the "Title" tag is changed O_o

Then I change the filenames to "The.Big.Bang.Theory.S05E04.avi" and "The.Big.Bang.Theory.S05E04.mkv" and vlc2.1 crashed :cry:, but vlc2.0.1 shows "The Big Bang Theory S05E04" in the titlebar... ¬_¬

kzendra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kzendra » 10 Nov 2012 21:46

I have runned into this problem

http://www.kzendra.com/vlc.png

As shown in this image, title which VLC displays means absolutely nothing. There is no way I can know where I am. I must get menia info to know on which file (episode) is beeing played.
Filename is in format "Stargate SG-1 SSxEE Episode Name.avi" Title is crap.

Give us back the file name. Give it as an option. Something, just give it back.

Btw, VLC 2.0.4 Win7 x64 Pro

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”