Selecting a particular language subtitle

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
jml674
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Selecting a particular language subtitle

Postby jml674 » 16 Jan 2012 23:26

I'm doing SCHEDULED recordings of DVB-T program and need pre-selected subtitles to be picked using the option "--sub-language fr" to select french subtitle track.

however the DVB-T media I'm capturing has 2 "french" tracks (the one for deaf people and the one I'm after in second position = "DVB - [Français]").
Unfortunately VLC seems to pick up the first it finds which is the one for deaf people.

Any hint to indicate VLC to pick the second one ? Note I CANNOT use the track index since I do not know in advance what it will be.

thanks a bunch!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Selecting a particular language subtitle

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Jan 2012 12:38

It picks the first one, because this one is the default 888 teletext page set in the stream. No choice but force the spu track.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

jml674
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jml674 » 27 Mar 2012 23:32

Any suggestion how to capture ALL subtitle tracks and ALL audio tracks using something like such as:

vlc dvb-t://frequency=506000000 --sout="#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst='C:\Users\Videos\test.mp4'},dst=display,select="program=519,es=1-1000"}"

and get a file which contains all audio,subtitle elementary streams but only the video stream corresponding to program 519

thanks!

jml674
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jml674 » 28 Mar 2012 22:08

I found a partial solution using the --sout-all option:
vlc dvb-t://frequency=506000000 :program=519 --sout-all --sout="#duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst='C:\User\test.mp4'},select="program=519"}"

I have now all audio,subtitle elementary streams captured in the file.
The only remaining problem is to have simultaneous display. If I add the "dst" option in the duplicate module, I then obtain as many windows as there are sids in the dvb-t stream (ie the select seems to be ignored) . Any hint ?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”