Release : VLC media player 0.8.2

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
MetalSnake

Postby MetalSnake » 06 Jul 2005 00:55

update: That slash bug seems to happen only at .mkv files, .avi files work fine even if the folders have slashes in the name.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 06 Jul 2005 23:18

Note that you should _never_ use slashes in file names! (same goes for colons). The Finder and most other applications won't allow you to do that (they'll give an error message, if you try to do that) and that got a serious reason.

Anyway, I'll file a bug-report and we might get that solved in the furthcoming 0.8.3 bug-fix release.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2005 13:46

Finder allows slash in file/folder names. Colon is impossible though.

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2005 14:57

Weird problem.

I have windows 2000 SP4. I can play movies fine, but weirdness has arrived in new version. When playing a movie, any other programs that are open will have the movie playing in the black portion of it and it does funky things.

Its hard to explain. The movie even paused is playing in things like opera over the program itself. It does it on every application for some reason. In the previous version it did not have this strange bug.

Is there anyway to fix this weird overlapping or wahtever you would call this bug?

How can I report this bug to be fixed in new release if not?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 08 Jul 2005 15:26

try disabling "video overlay" in the preferences window to see if it helps (but it shouldn't behave that way anyways ...)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2005 05:11

try disabling "video overlay" in the preferences window to see if it helps (but it shouldn't behave that way anyways ...)
I turned off video overlay for it to only show a black screen with no video.

Do you get what im saying though about what its doing though? When you play a video and you try talking on aim or surfing the web, the video will actually be playing in the text, even if VLC is minimized. Or if you put the aim window over the video it like tries to go transparent. It kind of makes the text look like some disco alternating colors until you stop the video.

Its really strange I am trying my best to explain it. Maybe I can record this behavior with camtasia to show you. I will give it a try.

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2005 05:16

Truly strange. I can see it happening when recording with camtasia or trying to take pic with snagit, but if I stop the video the pic/video shows it normal. I don't know how on earth I can show you whats its doing

Postby Guest » 12 Jul 2005 20:29

I am getting a magenta tint on all videos now. Like the green channel is gone or slightly less there.

I'm using a GeForce 6600 GT 128mb with the latest drivers
Windows XP SP1 with security updates and latest direct x
P4 2.8 Ghz
1 Gb ram.

This happens with all movies played in VLC, avi, mpg dvd and firefox (with the plugin).

/Tomas

yoda

Postby yoda » 13 Jul 2005 11:17

I am getting a magenta tint on all videos now. Like the green channel is gone or slightly less there.

I'm using a GeForce 6600 GT 128mb with the latest drivers
Latest WHQL? You have 77.72 8) This driver is VERY buggy with more overlay bugs.Its works ONLY with Battelfield2 fine. Only :twisted: NVidia latest drivers meant not "all right".

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2005 16:56

I installed the driver I had before that patch, which was 77.30 I think and the problem persists.

onewhoknows

subtitle bug

Postby onewhoknows » 14 Jul 2005 07:20

It's a bit of an inconvenience bug, but if you open a file by double-clicking on it (and it opens up VLC) you don't get any subtitle options. However, if you open up just the program and then load the file, you have subtitle options.

Thanks for this great player!

Postby Guest » 14 Jul 2005 07:31

There's another bug with the release. The video seems zoomed in or stretched and I can't see anything. Test2 works fine, though.

Slapo

Browser plugin

Postby Slapo » 14 Jul 2005 22:32

The latest stable for windows (0.8.2) downloaded and installed today.
The bug: the browser plugin crashes both Opera 8.0.1 and Firefox 1.0.5 when visiting http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ or when trying to play any trailer accessible from http://www.apple.com/trailers/ (Opera and Firefox), the browser simply crashes without an error message. The window is just closed and then nothing. I get this all the time. No previous version of VLC installed (I have used zip versions occasionaly, but I made sure I erased the pref. folder and erased found registry entries).

Any thoughts on this?

am'I

Postby am'I » 15 Jul 2005 00:00

I installed the driver I had before that patch, which was 77.30 I think and the problem persists.
I installed 76.50. No (more) Probs. NV Drivers sucks.

Postby Guest » 15 Jul 2005 22:01

ok, maybe I am a bit late this but I always thought that a future release would solve the following problems I have since the very first release of version 0.8.x for OS X...

0.8.2 crashes about 70% everytime I try to play any kind of movie (0.7.2 is rock solid)!

0.8.2 does not play 5.1 audio via my M-Audio revolution anymore, it's only stereo (0.7.2 does this very well - I checked settings)!

My real problem now is, that 0.7.2 does not recognize my second monitor (TV) anbymore (since OS 10.4.2 ??) and that's why I now would really like to use 0.8.2 (which has no problems with my TV) and that's why i need to find a solution for my problems!

Any ideas what I can do?
(I already deleted the prefs)

mumbo

VLC 0.8.2 and russian letters in playlist

Postby mumbo » 18 Jul 2005 17:56

in new version vlc 0.8.2 russian letters in name field of playlist are stripped :cry:

old version vlc 0.8.1 works fine with russian letters (CP-1251) :wink:

i hope that bug will be fixed!

my best wishes to developers!

Yoda

Postby Yoda » 18 Jul 2005 22:00

Hi

I found a cause for the problem over which I wrote in posting 3 of this thread! I configure today for playlist/general repeat actually object (germ.) and I has hald back the problems from my 3rd posting. I "voted out" this point and VLC works correctly. Please debug this :cry:

Anke

Postby Anke » 19 Jul 2005 23:02

I would like to have the possibility to lower the subtitles to the black part of the screen, instead of through the movie itself. Than it's easier to read the subs.

I don't know if this is the right place to let the designers know my wish, but I hope it helps.

Anke

Cortig
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cortig » 20 Jul 2005 03:09

Wouldn't it be sensible to remove 0.82 from download on the OSX version and leave 0.81 until this is sorted?
No, because 0.8.2 works for at least 433,407 people (only on OSX. there are at least 1,350,528 windows users as well) and only the few who tried APE have problems with it.
Additionally, 0.8.1 features much more serious bugs than 0.8.2.

Note that you can still download 0.8.1, if you wish to.

For information: I was having similar problems making the application barely usable. I had similar crash log (except that since I don't have APE on my Mac I only had references to Apple and VLC threads). 0.8.1 would have been a blessing in my case since 0.8.2 would crash on launch most of the time or would crash after a few minutes if I could go past launching the app.
Deleting the .plist file made no difference but after I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/VLC, everything went back to normal.
Noël aux Tisanes, Paco Rabanne - Pierre Desproges

Pjc01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pjc01 » 20 Jul 2005 11:38

Very great job !! super travail !!

Can i install Vlc 0.8.2 in silent mode (/S) in Full version (activeX) with a script vbs for exemple.

With NSIS packager we can send arguments (/USERNAME= ) but is it possible with Vlc packager

Thanks for your response

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 20 Jul 2005 21:03

V
With NSIS packager we can send arguments (/USERNAME= ) but is it possible with Vlc packager
the VLC installer uses NSIS
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Dandruff
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Dandruff » 21 Jul 2005 18:48

Imho its time to extensive bugseek. And for the first bugfix-only-release. Without new features.
exactly!
VLC has a serious deficiency in developers. We develop what we need and want personally a lot of the time. However VLC has gotten so large that this isn't a proper development cycle anymore. Still without the development team of programs like MPlayer, we just can't do that much.

Still the introduction of our trac system: http://trac.videolan.org
has made quite a difference already in a few weeks. hopefully the proces will improve over time. The fact remains however that without a developer that cares about certain modules because they are HIS, (like the portaudio module), their stability will just be very flacky.
I've contacted Frederic, and he will look into the portaudio-module as soon he has time for it ...

Jarrett

Postby Jarrett » 24 Jul 2005 09:13

First time using this program 0.8.2...

If I try to deinterlace any DivX or XviD files the program crashes...nasty red error message. Only works on mpeg files. I don't know if deinterlace is an mpeg only thing, but I thought I should share this anyway.

And! It would be nice for the subtitles to automatically be loaded if they are in the same directory. A few users mentioned this.

Do DivX6 files work with VLC? Just asking, I have no clue if changes must be made.

Jarrett

Postby Jarrett » 24 Jul 2005 09:18

Oh, I didn't want to ask this here, but is there any way to increase visual quality outside of setting post-processing to highest? Thanks!

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 24 Jul 2005 11:23

First time using this program 0.8.2...

If I try to deinterlace any DivX or XviD files the program crashes...nasty red error message. Only works on mpeg files. I don't know if deinterlace is an mpeg only thing, but I thought I should share this anyway.

And! It would be nice for the subtitles to automatically be loaded if they are in the same directory. A few users mentioned this.

Do DivX6 files work with VLC? Just asking, I have no clue if changes must be made.
deintralacing errors on MPEG4 is a known bug/issue with 0.8.2. We are trying to fix it :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”