trouble playing mkv

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
giuf5228
New Cone
New Cone

trouble playing mkv

Postby giuf5228 » 04 Nov 2011 13:58

Hi, Im having trouble playing a couple of mkv files. The first two files i downloaded work fine, but the third one plays for about a min and then goes back to the start. The rest of the episode is there, if i click on the time bar thing i can get it to play from a different point but i miss out on some of the episode. so anyone got any ideas on how to get it to play all the way through from start to finish?
Thanks

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: trouble playing mkv

Postby TypX » 05 Nov 2011 16:54

This file surely use ordered chapters, this behaviour is fixed in 1.2, you should consider trying it you can get it from http://nightlies.videolan.org/ (get a trunk version not a branch 1.11)

The other solution is to disable ordered chapters in your current vlc (tools->preferences, show settings = all, then in demuxers->matroska uncheck the ordered chapter box save and restart vlc).

If you do this don't forget to reset your preferences when you upgrade vlc to 1.2

giuf5228
New Cone
New Cone

Postby giuf5228 » 06 Nov 2011 14:28

It works now! Thank you !! :D <3

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Nov 2011 14:55

Nice job TypX!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

tummychow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tummychow » 22 Dec 2011 04:53

Firstly, excuse me if this is a necrobump; I'm accustomed to necrobump rules of 6 months max and didn't notice anything about it in the rules. Anyway, I was using a 1.2.0 build (this one) to test out the ordered chapter behavior. I will be testing a 1.3.0 build soon to see how that fares as well (this one is the most recent as of this post, I think). Sorry if I seem inexperienced with the repositories... I am =P

Firstly, props on making it work! I had to tick the "preload mkv files in same directory" option first, but after I did that, the segment-linked chapters would connect when they were supposed to. I have been waiting a long time for this feature so thanks for bringing it onboard.

Two issues, one minor and one less so. Firstly, VLC flashes the text for the filename of the file loaded whenever it switches segments. I can see why this is happening since VLC is basically opening a new file and then going back to the previous one, but it's kind of annoying. Just a little aesthetics thing at most. The other problem is that, when a new file is loaded, the subtitles in the file are disabled, regardless of whether the file had the subtitles on by default. I can easily reach up to the video menu to turn the subtitles back on, but they will disable again when the next segment break occurs, and so on. This is probably not the correct behavior.

Anyway I'd like to emphasize again that it's fantastic that this feature works. It would be nice if these quirks were fixed, but thanks for getting the support in place.

EDIT: confirming that the 1.3.0 build I indicated I would check also exhibits this subtitle-breaking behavior.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Dec 2011 12:56

Firstly, excuse me if this is a necrobump; I'm accustomed to necrobump rules of 6 months max and didn't notice anything about it in the rules. Anyway, I was using a 1.2.0 build (this one) to test out the ordered chapter behavior. I will be testing a 1.3.0 build soon to see how that fares as well (this one is the most recent as of this post, I think). Sorry if I seem inexperienced with the repositories... I am =P.
No problem, here. Annoying necrobump here are over 2 years...
Firstly, props on making it work! I had to tick the "preload mkv files in same directory" option first, but after I did that, the segment-linked chapters would connect when they were supposed to. I have been waiting a long time for this feature so thanks for bringing it onboard.
Cool.
Two issues, one minor and one less so. Firstly, VLC flashes the text for the filename of the file loaded whenever it switches segments. I can see why this is happening since VLC is basically opening a new file and then going back to the previous one, but it's kind of annoying. Just a little aesthetics thing at most.
Please add this to the bugtracker. If you do not, it will be forgotten.
The other problem is that, when a new file is loaded, the subtitles in the file are disabled, regardless of whether the file had the subtitles on by default. I can easily reach up to the video menu to turn the subtitles back on, but they will disable again when the next segment break occurs, and so on. This is probably not the correct behavior.
Known issue, we do not know what is the proper way to fix...

Thanks for the testing.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 24 Dec 2011 01:12

The other problem is that, when a new file is loaded, the subtitles in the file are disabled, regardless of whether the file had the subtitles on by default. I can easily reach up to the video menu to turn the subtitles back on, but they will disable again when the next segment break occurs, and so on. This is probably not the correct behavior.
Known issue, we do not know what is the proper way to fix...
There is a way, the core people just don't agree with it :p

tummychow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tummychow » 24 Dec 2011 01:18

o_O

Well in any case, I'm just glad to have partial support... I'm not paying anything, after all! I will be watching trac for more developments; thanks for giving a heads up.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 27 Dec 2011 17:53

As a matter of fact, you can bypass this by setting subtitles language preferences in tools->preferences->subtitle & OSD and write "en" in the subtitle language box, save and restart vlc.

Provided you want english subtitles.

tummychow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tummychow » 28 Dec 2011 01:02

Confirming that this works; fixes the subtitles disappearing issue. Thanks!

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 13 Jan 2012 15:58

This should now works without the preferences option. Feel free to test with tonight's nightly build.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”