Good suggestions for a TV card?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Good suggestions for a TV card?

Postby cmosse » 02 Jul 2005 19:39

I'm about to buy a TV card for a Debian system, and I'm wondering if anyone has to share any good/bad experiences using VLC with particular cards?

Regards,
Kaius

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 02 Jul 2005 22:56

Hauppauge PVR 250 works great (we used to have them running 365 days per year ...)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 04 Jul 2005 09:40

Thanks for the reply. I have to apologize, I should have stated my needs a more accurately..

What I need is a TV-card that works in DVB-T or DVB-C networks. These seem to be quite rare at the moment ( at least in Finland ). And the few that are on the market seem be loaded with bugs according to reviews I've found. Combined with the fact that *unix support is lagging quite a lot behind the windows support makes it even trickier..

Regards,
Kaius Perttilä

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 Jul 2005 16:35

well ... we now use hauppauge nova-t dvb-t cards (and dumped the PVRs :) ). These also run fine under linux debian (you just have to compile your own kernel and patch it with the patch from bytesex.org)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 08 Aug 2005 15:29

Finally bought the card, ended up with a Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C.
Works fine, even though installing the firmware on Debian wasn't that straightforward..
Could provide additional info is somebody is interested to try his luck with the same combination..

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”