VLC media player 0.8.2-test2 beta release

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2005 23:01

why cant there be a slider bar for adjusting the volume? its so irritating adjusting the bars. also, it wont remember the volume position i set. everytime i open the player, the vol goes back to 50%. for each file, a new instance of the player will open if the previous instance is not closed...

stand

WMV3

Postby stand » 11 Jun 2005 23:22

(main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.)

Panther 10.3.9

only audio , no visual , still cant watch wmv3......:-(
[/b]

Diagonal playing movies

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2005 23:44

Mac OS X 10.4.1:

The thin green (opengl?) line that surrounds all playing video files is still present on OS X 10.4.1.

`coreaudio' errors pop-up from time to time when trying to play mp3 files: seems sporadic, odd.

intermittent crashes: see above posts.
The green line is fixed.
The small errors are a known problem. I'm looking into that.
I tried out the 200506110352 build on Mac OS X 10.4.1, and although the thin green line is now gone, there seems to be a problem with DiVX4 movies where the thin green line appears on 0.8.1 version of vlc. For movies where the thin green line appears in the 0.8.1 version of vlc, the movie now plays distorted with a diagonal line going through the movie.

tqft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlist problems

Postby tqft » 11 Jun 2005 23:53

WinNT4.0 SP6

Both versions referenced - always starts with first song in playlist when shuffle is selected.

When using 0.8.2-svn-20050527 (wxWindows interface) - playlist creation by adding a directory and opening said playlist works just fine.

test2 release intermittently borks list into undifferentiated list

If I just add a directory - works Ok, but something is inconsistent (and different from 20050527) about the way it decides whether to have the list sorted and how it is displayed. I tried replicating the steps but like I said it is not consistent about whether it will display the directory structure whereas 20050527 was.

Addenum: opened test2 created playlist in 20050527 - undifferentiated
opened 20050527 created playlist in test2 - organized

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2005 04:02

VLC-OSX

I'm having an issue with playing back mkv files. They play just fine with MPlayer on my mac, and play fine on windows boxes as well...

With the current release 0.8.1, i get an error that says "Can't find kaxsegment" and now with 0.8.2-test2, the app just crashes.

Here's the debug info:

http://homepage.mac.com/vasu42/VLC-MKVcrash.txt

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: WMV3

Postby dionoea » 12 Jun 2005 14:19

(main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.)

Panther 10.3.9

only audio , no visual , still cant watch wmv3......:-(
Search the damn forum before asking the same question for the 100th time ! VLC won't be able to read WMV3 as long as no open source decoder exists. That will be available once the VC1 (VC9 ... whatever) video codec format is made public.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Dandruff
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Dandruff » 13 Jun 2005 08:25

tooltips should be word-wrapped! i'm using two monitors in dualhead-mode and the tooltips (for example that aspect-ratio-tooltip found under preferences -> video) are spanned (one wide line) across the two monitors, which looks really ugly! it's better to have (and to read) them only on that screen, on which vlc runs!

valstR

resizin

Postby valstR » 14 Jun 2005 00:53

-VLC doesn't resize to its original size once the playlist is closed.

-Green line is here in test2 under 10.3 (i didn't try the last nightly build)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: resizin

Postby dionoea » 14 Jun 2005 01:06

-Green line is here in test2 under 10.3 (i didn't try the last nightly build)
That was fixed after test2
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

bwahahax

Postby bwahahax » 14 Jun 2005 02:26

The following problem appeared when I ran VLC 0.8.2 test 2 (the only test version I've used), and I'd like to know if anyone else has come across it, or has any idea about how I could fix it.

First up, all audio seems to play fine through my computer's internal speaker.

The problem occurs when playing audio through external speakers. I have a SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit External USB Audio Box hooked into my home theatre system via S/PDIF.

VLC has, and continues to work fine when playing audio through the external speakers, but in order to play audio through the external speakers with any other program I have to launch VLC and play a random audio or movie file.

Once this has been done I can hear audio being played by iTunes etc. However, as soon as I quit VLC the audio cuts out again.

Any thoughts?

keytothetime

Error

Postby keytothetime » 14 Jun 2005 02:41

When i go to setting - extennded gui and try to enable Adjust image it give me this error:
I'm using windows xp sp2

VLC for MAc OS X 10.3.9 Crash!

Postby » 14 Jun 2005 07:39

I hope someone can help me with this. I downloaded the new beta version. It worked for a while, but then suddenly crashed. I uninstalled and installed 0.7.1 (because 0.8.1 always gave me trouble when trying to watch dvds). But, now any version that I download and install, just never seems to open, because as soon as it does it crashes. Can someone help me? Please?

I run a dual 2Ghz PowerPc G5 with 2.5 GB of Ram

Thanks,

Postby » 14 Jun 2005 07:48

Okay, so I downloaded version 0.8.1 again, and it seems to work, but why can't I get audio when I attempt to play dvd's with it? Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks,

Postby Guest » 14 Jun 2005 08:06

Ré:
what version of OS X?

For good measure, delete:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/VLC/

Postby » 14 Jun 2005 19:49

I am using OS 10.3.9, and VLC 0.8.1 works fine, except when I attempt to play dvds with it. The sound automatically switches to a digital output in my preferences (and since I don't have external speakers) I totally loose sound. I can switch it back after a while, and I can still read other files using VLC 0.8.1. The only problem is trying to read dvd's with it, that's all. Any ideas on how to make it work, without having to download the new beta version? (I tried and it crashed constantly.)

Thanks,

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 14 Jun 2005 22:09

The following problem appeared when I ran VLC 0.8.2 test 2 (the only test version I've used), and I'd like to know if anyone else has come across it, or has any idea about how I could fix it
You didn't mention your OS
Don't use PMs for support questions.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 14 Jun 2005 22:12

I am using OS 10.3.9, and VLC 0.8.1 works fine, except when I attempt to play dvds with it. The sound automatically switches to a digital output in my preferences (and since I don't have external speakers) I totally loose sound. I can switch it back after a while, and I can still read other files using VLC 0.8.1. The only problem is trying to read dvd's with it, that's all. Any ideas on how to make it work, without having to download the new beta version? (I tried and it crashed constantly.)

Thanks,
use a 0.8.2 nightly. should be fixed.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

bwahahax

Postby bwahahax » 15 Jun 2005 00:09

The DJ:
I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.1.

themoh
New Cone
New Cone

late picture

Postby themoh » 15 Jun 2005 04:33

I just wanted to confirm the "late picture" problem reported earlier in this thread and elsewhere. The problem only happens with the test builds, so it's really a regression. 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 do not have the same issue.

To recap: with mpeg4 video (specifically DX50 fourcc), frames with lots of motion are skipped, causing visible pauses in the output. This does not appear to be a streaming problem, as the content is from a local file. Nor does it appear to be a CPU problem: the test machine was not doing anything else and task manager shows less than 10% CPU usage.

Win2kSp4, vlc 0.8.2-test2

P.S. I'm amazed at how good the resource utilization is in VLC. Keep up the good work.

ericrohmer

trouble with mkv

Postby ericrohmer » 15 Jun 2005 09:32

hi~
first, thank you for this player
i tested vlc player 0.8.2 (lastest version).
i can't play mvk file (audio only and black video)
my platform is Mac OSX 10.4.1 G5 1.8ghz

fix that problem please~

i want to see mkv file on next version of VLC.

Good job :D

bwahahax

Postby bwahahax » 16 Jun 2005 03:20

Re: VLC digital audio output problems (see my post above)

Having experimented further it seems that audio on my computer will only play through the external digital (S/PDIF) interface when VLC is either playing or paused.

To recap:
1) If VLC is stopped or not running, i cannot hear any audio from iTunes (or any other program).
2) If VLC is playing or paused, I can hear iTunes and audio from other programs.

Is there a system file VLC modifies that might produce this behaviour?

landy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby landy » 16 Jun 2005 03:43

i just tried test 2 with one of the divx 6 videos available on this page but it does not seem to like them, aparantly other players can still handle them without there new codec if you rename to .avi but you lose the menus, subs and extra audio (or decodes all streams at once). unfortunatly vlc crashes no matter what i name it, vlc itself doesnt seem to spit out any errors and i cant seem to cut and paste from windows error thingy or find the error log on my system

stickfigure

h264 support?

Postby stickfigure » 16 Jun 2005 03:52

Well, I love VLC, since its a clean and easy to handle player, but it still doesnt support the new h264 encodes that well. Only the audio plays and the debug reports "header missing" even though the file works on other players...

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: h264 support?

Postby fkuehne » 16 Jun 2005 08:46

Well, I love VLC, since its a clean and easy to handle player, but it still doesnt support the new h264 encodes that well. Only the audio plays and the debug reports "header missing" even though the file works on other players...
Can you give us a hint, where we can find such a file, so we can have a look at it? If you don't know a location, feel free to upload a sample to <ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/> and paste the name of the file here.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Alexsource

Re: late picture

Postby Alexsource » 16 Jun 2005 14:49

I just wanted to confirm the "late picture" problem reported earlier in this thread and elsewhere. The problem only happens with the test builds, so it's really a regression. 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 do not have the same issue.

To recap: with mpeg4 video (specifically DX50 fourcc), frames with lots of motion are skipped, causing visible pauses in the output. This does not appear to be a streaming problem, as the content is from a local file. Nor does it appear to be a CPU problem: the test machine was not doing anything else and task manager shows less than 10% CPU usage.

Win2kSp4, vlc 0.8.2-test2

P.S. I'm amazed at how good the resource utilization is in VLC. Keep up the good work.
This seems to be the new problem with divx5 wich appeared after 21/5 nightlies (for me, at least :P). Strange, as the file i was having troubles with, was ok again with the first test2 build.
Try a newer nightly, and try to upload a sample so the developers can have a look at it and fix it, if it isn't already fixed ;)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”