vlc doesn't play transport streams (ts-files)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
hazzar

vlc doesn't play transport streams (ts-files)

Postby hazzar » 11 Jun 2005 15:28

Hello,

anybody got an idea why my vlc (all, 0.7.1, 0.7.2 and 0.8.1) doesn't play ts streams and files?
I remember some months ago it did. So there must be some sort of "secret setting" I guess :-)
Then suddenly it didn't play the streams anymore. I used the classic media player instead.
Now there is a change as I want to play the direct stream from my satelite receiver (dreambox).
It works fine with my notebook in my home wlan (and vlc 0.7.2) just not my pc.

Thanks for your help!

Hazzar

hazzar

Re: vlc doesn't play transport streams (ts-files)

Postby hazzar » 11 Jun 2005 15:30

Hello,

anybody got an idea why my vlc (all, 0.7.1, 0.7.2 and 0.8.1) doesn't play ts streams and files?
I remember some months ago it did. So there must be some sort of "secret setting" I guess :-)
Then suddenly it didn't play the streams anymore. I used the classic media player instead.
Now there is a change as I want to play the direct stream from my satelite receiver (dreambox).
It works fine with my notebook in my home wlan (and vlc 0.7.2) just not my pc.

Thanks for your help!

Hazzar

sorry I forgot. All other formats are played witout any problems.

hazzr

Postby hazzr » 11 Jun 2005 15:36

I am adding one more info:

when opening ats stream no window is opening. Although the length/time time info is 0/0 the inforbar runs from left to right with in high speed (30 seconds for a 90 mins movie).

thanks in advance.

hazzar

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 11 Jun 2005 16:12

hi,
I only know that VLC won't play Dbox Neutrino TS-Files because of missing PMT/PAT
Maybe the dreambox TS-Files are also without PMT/PAT so you have to request that from the drembox developer. The only Windows Player who plays such files is afaik, the MediaPlayerClassic.

cu,
peter

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 14 Jun 2005 20:44

I would like to add that streams without a PAT/PMT are not valid MPEG-TS streams :D
Don't use PMs for support questions.

scapin

Postby scapin » 15 Jun 2005 13:42

...something weird happened with the last beta...before this last one, I was able to open all video.pls files from my Dreambox Web-server, now nothing...not even with other players like Media Player Classic...
please...what happened ? Even getting back to previous release it doesnt help :?: :(

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 15 Jun 2005 13:49

I would like to add that streams without a PAT/PMT are not valid MPEG-TS streams :D
yes, you are totally right...but some of the Dbox developer don't agree with that. I tried to convince them to add PMT/PAT since one year...without success :-(

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 15 Jun 2005 15:27

...something weird happened with the last beta...before this last one, I was able to open all video.pls files from my Dreambox Web-server, now nothing...not even with other players like Media Player Classic...
please...what happened ? Even getting back to previous release it doesnt help :?: :(
Ah. i heard something similar lately. The .pls files are probably not really .pls files, but .m3u files instead. VLC no longer fallsback to m3u if pls parsing fails i think.
Basically either rename them to .m3u, or create REAL .pls files instead.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 15 Jun 2005 15:44

yes, you are totally right...but some of the Dbox developer don't agree with that. I tried to convince them to add PMT/PAT since one year...without success :-(
well we do not intend to support less valid streams, because someone is being stubborn about his broken implementation.

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 15 Jun 2005 16:28

hi,
yes, and I would _never_ have the idea to request VLC-support for such streams..I am only sad about me, that I could not convince the Dbox developer to add the missing PMT/PAT to the 'Neutrino' ts-stream.
There is another 'GUI' (they call it 'GUI' but it's quite more..it's a worldview) for the Dbox called 'Enigma' which produce a valid ts-stream.

You are right and they are wrong!

cu,
peter

--

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”