VLC doesn't play MKV with subtitle (srt)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
errorxp
New Cone
New Cone

VLC doesn't play MKV with subtitle (srt)

Postby errorxp » 24 Mar 2011 08:21

For some reason VLC fails to play a video when I add a .srt or .sub subtitle to the folder containing the video.

I use VLC to capture the video (h264 and mpeg4) and audio (mp3, aac) from a streaming server and save it to .mkv or .mp4 container.

Without the subtitle the video plays fine.

I'm using the standard module to capture video:

Code: Select all

--sout="#standard{access=file,access_audio=file,mux=ts,mux_audio=ts,dst=%s}"
When I try to play the MKV or MP4 with SRT or SUB I get the following error:

[0x9dc08bc] ts demux error: MPEG-4 descriptor not found [0x9dc043c] main demux error: option sub-original-fps does not exist
As far as I have tried the problem persists on different VLC releases (1.1.7, 1.1,2, 1. 0.6).
I'm using linux but it doesn't work in windows either.

Does anybody have a solution?

errorxp
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC doesn't play MKV with subtitle (srt)

Postby errorxp » 24 Mar 2011 15:07

When I change the muxer to 'ps' then the video will start to play but no subtitle.
The following is displayed when opening the video:

[0xb4e518dc] main demux error: option sub-original-fps does not exist [0x9cc6ae4] xcb_xv generic error: no available XVideo adaptor header damaged
I tried to open the MKV with mkvmerge and add a subtitle stream but It only recognizes the audio stream, so the outputfile has no video stream.

MarkD
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MarkD » 25 Mar 2011 14:12

I don't know about srt files but I had problems with VLC auto-detecting my idx/sub file combo. Another post in the forum suggested changing the subtitle encoding. I changed from Windows (1252-something) to Universal (UTF-8) and my videos all play with subtitles now.

Hope this helps,
Mark

errorxp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby errorxp » 25 Mar 2011 16:46

I'll have to see whether the encoding makes any difference.
However, when I use OGG as container format with Theora and Vorbis codecs the subtitles show up nicely, although there's something wrong with VLC reporting the duration of the video file.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”