pitch/speed changes

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: pitch/speed changes

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Oct 2010 14:56

And?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

wateras
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wateras » 20 Mar 2011 01:30

Not sure if it is the same thing but yea compared to gom player the audio quality when time stretching just isn't as clear, it feels distorted and clipped, so the voices are harder to make out. Not sure why.

kjetilbmoe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kjetilbmoe » 24 May 2011 12:01

I can confirm this pitching phenomenon as well. And it is very annoying - I strongly consider returning to Winamp.

Running Lenovo quad core.

&numa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby &numa » 11 Jun 2011 12:55

Same problem here, latest version of VLC.

:cry:

I'm very disappointing. :(
Last edited by &numa on 11 Jun 2011 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

&numa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby &numa » 11 Jun 2011 12:55

I have a firewire card : Motu mk2 828.

I have to use windows media player... :/

turion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby turion » 20 Jul 2011 16:53

"Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category."

This is not a Windows only problem, I experience it on Linux (Kubuntu 11.04) as well with all soundcards, jack & alsa drivers.
There is a bug report about this in ticket 2703.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 20 Jul 2011 17:20

VLC resamples to preserve sync. This problem is basically unsolvable for live streams. For other streams, this would require major changes in the core. Given the shortage of time/developers, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

danyjr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby danyjr » 30 Jun 2013 22:02

I have to concur with this thread. It only happens when you rewind/fast forward or during playback.

MicrowaveInfant4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MicrowaveInfant4 » 11 Nov 2013 11:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-icbcCzv6Mc

Video proof.
Generated a sine wave at 440Hz in Audacity, opened it in VLC, opened up my electronic tuner app, and voila, pitch goes sharp.

register
New Cone
New Cone

Postby register » 09 Mar 2014 10:55

Since so many people claims this bug doesn't exist, I feel a need to bump this thread and add that yes it does. Some people might not hear this; they are called tone deaf.

The bug has existed for years, possibly for ever, and no other player that I know of does this. If it is about syncing the video framerate to a jittery Windows clock, there is no reason to do this for audio. A stable pitch is much better than having it play at exactly the recording pitch, especially when it doesn't anyway.

www.maxloh.com
New Cone
New Cone

Postby www.maxloh.com » 13 Apr 2014 17:44

Musician here. I have the same problem. The bug is subtle; hard to hear if you have no pitch sense; hard to miss if you have good pitch sense. It's a VLC problem.

It's sad that no one cares. 99% of the world is tone deaf. It's not easily reproducible since it happens randomly but it mostly happens within 5 seconds of starting a song. And you can EASILY verify that it's VLC's problem, by opening the SAME audio file in ANY OTHER audio player.

Steps to reproduce:
Open an audio file in VLC and record the output
Identify during the song the few seconds that were affected by VLC pitch shift bug
Open the audio file in any other audio player
Compare the affected seconds and note that the VLC version is pitched a tiny bit higher than the control version.

FIX THE BUG AND STOP IGNORING MUSICIANS. I love VLC because it plays virtually any file. I can stand certain issues, but INCORRECT playback is not one of them, and pitch shifting something is, in my opinion, INCORRECT playback of an audio file. This issue happens with both .wav and .mp3

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Apr 2014 20:26

Not all but still most of the pitch shifting is due to broken hardware or buggy drivers, especially on Windows (and PulseAudio bugs on Linux).

For the other cases for which VLC can genuinely be faulted, please provide a patch if you care. This is not easy. SHOUTING WILL NOT PRODUCE A FIX.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

iamli3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iamli3 » 20 May 2014 20:43

i have had this problem for a while now as well , im no musician , though i am starting to play instruments , but the random playback shifting causing the pitch shifting has always been annoyingly apparent to me , and recently it's gotten so bad that there doesn't seem to be a single song i can listen to where it wont happen now...

like what could suck worse for music than to be singing along to epic tunes only to have it suddenly change the sound of that tune to something completely different sounding than what you're singing , leaving you feeling 'like , what?' , completely ruins the composition of the music......

it seems that if i put the program is real time processing priority then it's able to give the audio playback without this problem , only it still has random static clicks signifying to me it still isn't achieving proper playback.....

and on a side note i have other problems with the program as well for the versions 2.1.0 and past , where the volume control is limited , it saves the graphic for the different audio level between selection but not the actual level of sound it plays back , and 3d sound back beta 0.1 from realtek which i've been using to add speak fill in functionality for applications which don't use surround sound for my 5.1 speakers since windows 7 can't do that itself , doesn't work , meaning i can't even use the newer versions (though they apparently still haven't fixed the audio playback problem so there isn't much need to) unless i don't want to use half my speakers....

mauchi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mauchi » 26 Sep 2014 12:39

It makes me sick... I'm a musician and I've very sensitive ears... these changes in pitch in every single song that the player play, is a very bad bug. how could it be fixed?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 26 Sep 2014 13:17

I don't really understand the question. Obviously, someone needs to write code if this is to be fixed.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Mr_bass
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mr_bass » 31 Oct 2014 01:46

fellas - I'm happy to hear, that I never went crazy. Had the same problem over years with every of my 4 different machines and VLC-versions. On Win xp, Win7 and now on MAC OSX - which is bad, because there is no mediaplayer... appearantly nearly no one recognizes this 'wow and flutter' - too bad.

rfiv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rfiv » 31 Oct 2014 08:27

Sorry. I know...apparently It's not an important bug :D

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 31 Oct 2014 12:06

This is an important bug. But it is hard to fix and nobody has stepped up to hire someone to do so.

Besides, in some occurences of the problem, I suspect the problem is with the hardware or the BIOS. VLC developers cannot fix that.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Mr_bass
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mr_bass » 31 Oct 2014 12:15

... Yes I agree, a severe bug. And maybe it's more often happening with some machines than with other BIOS (Intel, AMD?) - but I had this issue with very different computers.

Midigator
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Midigator » 23 Dec 2014 08:50

Hi, same thing for me, varying pitch is annoying.
but I never found why. Maybe on some differents encodings...

I am sorry to tell I have installed another player.
Tonight I have reinstall Vlc but only to play midi with good soundfont.
But the last public version have lost support for midi playback.
I was on Forum for that reason apparently with NigthlyBuilt Midi' ok...

I let this message to try to recover our marvellous and preffered Multiplayer VLC.

Hope Dev Tem listen our comment and take the priority at the right place.

Good Night All.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 24 Dec 2014 09:51

There is no dev team because there is no money to pay a dev team with. So no, the dev team will not listen to your comment.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Kelen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kelen » 11 Oct 2016 19:27

Hello,

I confirm this pitch shifting problem. I have it on all my machines with windows xp and 7 (32 and 64), AMD and Intel, with mp3, mp4 and wav files and different vlc versions. It is in the first few seconds. Pitch goes slightly sharp.

I did not check on linux.

Anyway, I keep vlc installed in case that I need it for movie files but installed smplayer for audio files now.

unfa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby unfa » 03 Jul 2017 15:38

I'm having a bad headache with this problem on Android as well.

What is strange - it doesn't seem to happen when playing video files, and I seem to have more problems like this when playing Ogg Vorbis, than when playing Opus files for example. I wonder if this is specific to some decoders.

unfa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby unfa » 03 Jul 2017 15:45

I also have this problem, I mainly use VLC on Android and I have music randomly slowing down and seeding up, resulting in a pitch change of roughly +/- 1 semitone, which is extremely annoying and nauseating to musician's ears.

For me it seems to occur more frequently when i listen to Ogg Vorbis files (single tracks) than for example Opus of entire albums. I definitely notice this much more with my own music, sometimes it doesn't occur for hours, sometimes it's so frequent and aggressive I can't enjoy the music anymore. I'm starting to consider using something else than VLC to listen to music, but I really like it's features.

Would it help if I captured some sound samples and measured what is the pitch deviation?

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 21 Jul 2017 17:17

Ticket addressing this or a similar issue, added for reference:
ticket 14287

Or try this overview to find the ticket:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?sta ... r=priority

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”