WINCE Developers Waiting for Discussion

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Nik

WINCE Developers Waiting for Discussion

Postby Nik » 25 May 2005 15:11

Hi all,

I and some other developers have been asking last couple of weeks for help with the WINCE build. I noticed some of us even suggested active involvment into the development of the Pocket PC port of VLC.
As we all see the Pocket PC VLC executable is updated regularily after each new build therefore we believe somebody is able to compile this port.
Unfortunatelly the contrib libraries posted on the videolan ftp server do not compile sucessfully with VLC due to the configure script problems. Is it possible for the developer who builds succesfully WINCE port of VLC to share with us the configure script and the contrib libs he/she is using?

Best regards,
Nik
Toronto, Canada

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 26 May 2005 15:43

Hi,

The build instructions are actually described in the INSTALL.wince file which is in the source tree.
I just updated this file to point to a new cross-compiler package and added the --enable-optimize-memory to the configure script. But apart from that it was still up to date.

Try this and if you still have problems, give us a full log of the errors you get so we can help you.

Nik

Postby Nik » 26 May 2005 22:20

Thank you for your reply.
I did everything suggested in INSTALL.wince, got the latest vlc-trunk with svn, the pre-compiled 20050220 contrib package and the 20050517 cross-compiler.
I used the script provided in INSTALL.wince:
./bootstrap &&
PATH=/usr/local/wince/cross-tools/bin:$PATH \
CFLAGS="-D__stdcall= -D_OFF_T_ -I/usr/local/wince/cross-tools/include" \
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/wince/cross-tools/lib" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale/lib" \
CC="arm-wince-pe-gcc -mcpu=xscale" \
../configure --host=arm-wince-pe --target=arm-wince-pe \
--build=i686-linux --prefix=/usr/local/wince \
--disable-sdl --disable-gtk --disable-dvdnav --disable-dvdread \
--disable-nls --disable-sout --disable-vlm --disable-wxwindows \
--disable-a52 --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-freetype --disable-fribidi \
--disable-mad --disable-plugins --enable-optimize-memory \
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/local/wince-xscale/bin \
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/local/wince-xscale/bin \
--enable-tremor --enable-faad
The script will not run configure from the vlc-trunk because it is ../configure instead of ./configure. I changed it and it run OK but I got the following error:
Missing header file ffmpeg/avcodec.h error:
checking for ffmpeg-config... no
checking ffmpeg/avcodec.h usability... yes
checking ffmpeg/avcodec.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: ffmpeg/avcodec.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the preprocessor!
configure: WARNING: ffmpeg/avcodec.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for ffmpeg/avcodec.h... no
configure: error: Missing header file ffmpeg/avcodec.h.
I spent a lot of time to figure out what is wrong the last two weeks unfortunately unsecsessfully. I also posted a detailed description of my attempts to fixing this including configure script changes into the vlc-developer mailing list.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot for your help.

Nik
Toronto, Canada[/quote]

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 27 May 2005 15:54

Ok, I fixed the typo about fixed ./configure in INSTALL.wince.

As for your error with avcodec.h, have a look at the config.log file to have more information about why it is failing.

Nik

Postby Nik » 27 May 2005 17:25

Dear Gibalou--I don't know your real name--Thanks again for your help.

I finally figured out what is wrong and managed to build VLC. I am soooooo happy :-)
Please make sure to correct INSTALL.wince to save valuable developer time if someone else decides to build VLC for WINCE plarform.

There were 3 problems in the INSTALL.wince:

1. The configure script is looking for the contrib libraries in ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib not in /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale. After extracting the contrib archive to your root directory with
tar xjvf contrib-20050220-wince-xscale-bin.tar.bz2 -C /
MAKE SURE TO MOVE the content of /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale (bin, include, lib and share directories) to ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib with:
mv /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale/* ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib

The following two errors are related to the script calling bootstrap and configure:

2. Change ../configure to ./configure (this one should be already corrected)

3. --prefix=/usr/local/wince should be --prefix=/usr/local/wince/cross-tools

After these three corrections run the script from the vlc-trunk.

All the best to all VLC developers,
Nik
Toronto, Canada

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 28 May 2005 11:15

Point 1) and 3) should definitely not be needed and even more not wanted either.

There is likely still something wrong with the way you call the ./configure script cause it should have been able to find the developement header/libs where they were extracted in the first place.

Postby Guest » 28 May 2005 22:12

From where do I download the new version? from the testing section of the videolan ftp?

Regards
Sotiris

coder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coder » 28 May 2005 22:35

Please ignore the previous message... the place is the CVS of course :oops:

coder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coder » 29 May 2005 22:29

Hi all,

I was able with the new guidelines to compile it but when comming to ld i get an error
cannot find -lws2 ?
Does anyone know the reason?

By the way I'm testing it with Slackware 10.1 and I didn't had to follow points 1,2,3 mentioned by nik above so I'm just using the guidelines at readme.wince.

Thanks

Blake

Postby Blake » 30 May 2005 02:35

Binary for Pocket PC port?
I'm having trouble getting VLC to play .ogg video files on Pocket PC. I'm wanting to use the theora video codec.

New to VLC, any help would be appreciated, thanks :D

Blake

Blake

Postby Blake » 30 May 2005 02:40

Also, if anyone already has a precompiled binary that supports theora for Pocket PC and would like to just send me the file rather than explain how to do it, that would be great too. It's a 400Mhz XScale if that matters...

blake at rr-productions D0T C0M

thanks again

Blake

Postby Blake » 30 May 2005 02:47

whoops, i just realized that email account is wrong, it's actually

chris at rr-productions dot com

robcan12345
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re:

Postby robcan12345 » 06 Jul 2007 18:04

Dear Gibalou--I don't know your real name--Thanks again for your help.

I finally figured out what is wrong and managed to build VLC. I am soooooo happy :-)
Please make sure to correct INSTALL.wince to save valuable developer time if someone else decides to build VLC for WINCE plarform.

There were 3 problems in the INSTALL.wince:

1. The configure script is looking for the contrib libraries in ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib not in /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale. After extracting the contrib archive to your root directory with
tar xjvf contrib-20050220-wince-xscale-bin.tar.bz2 -C /
MAKE SURE TO MOVE the content of /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale (bin, include, lib and share directories) to ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib with:
mv /usr/local/wince/contrib-xscale/* ~/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib

The following two errors are related to the script calling bootstrap and configure:

2. Change ../configure to ./configure (this one should be already corrected)

3. --prefix=/usr/local/wince should be --prefix=/usr/local/wince/cross-tools

After these three corrections run the script from the vlc-trunk.

All the best to all VLC developers,
Nik
Toronto, Canada

I have done ALL you have said, but i have problems with missing headers vcodec.h!!!! i don't understand this because the libraries ae in the right place!!! HELP!!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”