1.1.5 swscale Does Nothing!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
MaJoR
New Cone
New Cone

1.1.5 swscale Does Nothing!

Postby MaJoR » 10 Dec 2010 16:42

I've been using VLC for a long time as it gives me the best image quality for DVDs on my 1080p display. I'm picky, and I like a good upverting as opposed to sticking to the original res, and on a computer it's way more convenient to use scaling, and the Lancsoz scaling produces a nice result. Well, I upgraded to 1.1.5, and I noticed something. I can't get swscale to work. At all. In the Preferences All>Video>Filters, there are two subsections, and 3 "video scaling filter"s. I've used all 3. Nothing.

The "video scaling filter" in the Video filter Module list does absolutely nothing. Both of them. (One gives swscale and the other gives cropadd, I figure swscale is the right one, doesn't matter as they both do nothing) The DVD I'm using is "Ark of Truth", pausing the video then typing in an exact time, so I can get a specific frame. No matter what I do, there is no visible change. Copy paste the two version (swscale on and off) into photoshop, zoom all the way in, and flip between layers? No difference. Not even a pixel! Playing it after pausing does not change it, so it's not my method of collecting a frame that is doing it. And I have it set to nearest neighbor to purposefuly make the difference as extreme as possible (versus the default, I'm assuming, bicubic).

The Video scaling filter in the "Video output filter module" list does do something. It turns the screen black! And all video options (minus video track selection) are greyed out. I can still go to different titles and things on the DVD, but it is totally black. Audio plays, the timer is going, the video is running, just, without a video track. To get rid of the black, I've tried turning overlay acceleration on and off, turning Hardware YUV>RGB on and off, even the experimental GPU acceleration on and off, and all combinations thereof. No change.

I've tried other DVDs and some videos on my computer, no change. Help! I want my Swscale!

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 at 3200mhz
GPU - Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+
Ram - 4GB of DDR2 @ 800mhz
OS - Windows 7 x64

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 1.1.5 swscale Does Nothing!

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Dec 2010 16:43

Deactivate overlay, if you want software scaling
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MaJoR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MaJoR » 10 Dec 2010 16:47

It was one of the first things I disabled. No effect.

MaJoR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MaJoR » 11 Dec 2010 14:09

Bump

Comeon guys, work with me here. There is a ton of overlapping options in VLC. Like the 3 video scaling filters I mentioned above, not to mention the basic controls and on and on. Can someone give me a setup that works for them that I can try?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 11 Dec 2010 17:38

Scaling is automatic when needed. You're not supposed to do it via the filter UI. Use zoom if you want to change the video scale manually.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

MaJoR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MaJoR » 12 Dec 2010 17:47

Right. I know it's automatic, and I want to preserve that. I just want to change HOW it scales. That is the function of the "video scaling filter", i.e. swscale. Right?

When I go full screen, I want it to use a scaling mechanism that is better for high resolution displays, something sharper then the basic bilinear or bicubic. Stretching DVD video to 1920x1080 with the default scaling mechanism results in a very fuzzy picture, and I want to fix that. It's the whole reason I picked up using VLC in the first place! That it produces the best DVD results on a high resolution display. Specifically the Lancsoz scaling.

I'll go download version 1.0.0 or something, one that swscale worked in, and show you what I mean.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=76287

That's my problem exactly. Message window reads "no video filter module matched 'swscale'", then "video output creation failed". It tries to remove swscale, then borks.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”