VLC for iPad freezing.

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ackoco
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC for iPad freezing.

Postby ackoco » 02 Nov 2010 14:04

Same problem here. It just locks and I have to reset my ipad every 10 min or so. any official word on this issue?

Furia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Furia » 02 Nov 2010 15:52

For this app to have been broken in this way since it's last release I would not think devs were even following these forum posts or someone would have said "we know about it and we are working on it". I'm going to try cinexplayer next. I have never tried it but it seems to be the same thing except only plays avi's maybe. Seems all my downloads are avi anyways.

weechuan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby weechuan » 03 Nov 2010 09:42

same problem.

similar to lounge lizard, instead of double tapping the right forward, just drag the timeline to beginning then done, it will go back to the film selection page too.

can someone from VLC pls do something...since its not a legal problem anymore.....pls..pls...

nameneeded
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nameneeded » 03 Nov 2010 23:25

Maybe we need to delete it and rank it 1 star with our complaint to get some attention?

amtwwg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amtwwg » 05 Nov 2010 17:59

Really? not even a comment from the developers after 2 weeks? It's less then useless if you can't play a file longer than 10 minutes. Good thing it was free...

Furia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Furia » 05 Nov 2010 22:51

A dev replied in the iPad crashing string in the osX section of the forum saying they know about it and are working on it.

Dune2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dune2 » 08 Nov 2010 14:38

Same problem here. The work around that was post works most of the time (still get some hardcrashes)' but it's a major pain. Puleeeese fix this. Thanks!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Nov 2010 15:35

Same problem here. The work around that was post works most of the time (still get some hardcrashes)' but it's a major pain. Puleeeese fix this. Thanks!
What is your iOS version?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

insanepenguin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby insanepenguin » 09 Nov 2010 15:18

Ok, I can confirm the issue. I dis notice something not mentioned in any previous post. the problem seems to be related to the sound system. I usualy watch movies with headphones on. whenever the lock-up happens, I close VLC (via the home button), then wait about 10 seconds, ie long enough to no longer hear the "buzz" in the headphones. This usually indicates that the sound server (or whatever serves that purpose on iOS) has timed out. I then restart VLC, and the movie plays again from the last valid position.
Hope this helps. I'm going hunting for where to post this so the developers see it right away.

badcompany
New Cone
New Cone

Postby badcompany » 10 Nov 2010 00:13

You won't guess but hey I have the same problem :roll: thought it was maybe interesting to bring up here but seems im not the first one LOL

Eddyjl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Eddyjl » 10 Nov 2010 01:18

Seriously, is no one from VLC going to let us know when the bug should be fixed? I appreciate it's a free app, but I would rather just pay the 59p or whatever and get an app that actually works :/

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Nov 2010 01:48

Seriously, is no one from VLC going to let us know when the bug should be fixed? I appreciate it's a free app, but I would rather just pay the 59p or whatever and get an app that actually works :/
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

shant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shant » 11 Nov 2010 01:40

I'm running the latest iOS version, if that helps.

ontheipad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ontheipad » 11 Nov 2010 03:15

I've been having the same issues on my ipad running 3.2.2 *jailbroken. I have sbssetting so when VLC does lock up I just open that and in the processes toggle I kill VLC and reopen it. While in the processes toggle I found out that every time i have to kill VLC, I also see that my Mail is running so I end that also. Once VLC locks up again and I go to the processes toggle my Mail is back up and running. I turned push fetch new data to off and manually but every 10-15mins mail turns back on. I think this is causing VLC to crash.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Nov 2010 13:27

Version number, please?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Dune2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dune2 » 11 Nov 2010 16:14

Not sure if I am looking at the right item, but in the settings menu the version number is 3.2.2 7E500. Is that what you were asking for?

flur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flur » 11 Nov 2010 18:13

Version number, please?
I can confirm this problem.

My iPad OS is: iPhone OS 3.2.2

what more information do you need?

shant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shant » 12 Nov 2010 02:57

Version number, please?
Sure, it's 3.2.2 (7B500). Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Nov 2010 00:24

Ok, that is wrong. It is supposed to work on 4.2GM, I'll ask.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Piki09
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Piki09 » 15 Nov 2010 23:29

Same thing has been happening to my ipad for a couple weeks. I'm runnig the 3.2.2 OS (7B500). Please help. Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Nov 2010 17:14

4.2 will fix it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

kaotixkc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaotixkc » 17 Nov 2010 12:37

I have the same issue, it would appear, as everyone else.
I'm running the latest 3.2.2 jailbroken and I get the freeze issue every 10-15 minutes. A recent 10 hour flight made watching films on my iPad nearly impossible.

I have noticed a few things.
Because I'm jailbroken I have the available memory showing in the status bar. When VLC crashes, it does 1 of 2 things and is totally random in which happens.

1) The memory will be retrieved like it should be, usually after holding the 'back' button in VLC for a few seconds then clicking 'Done' after waiting a few seconds I can actively see the memory get released as it should and I can resume playback like normal.

2) The memory is not released and VLC freezes completely, even after pressing home the memory still is not released (causing me to think there is a memory leak in some part of VLC itself)

I have noticed the audio 'buzz' while wearing headphones and can confirm that in case 1 (above) that the audio buzzes until the memory is released and then I can continue to use VLC from where it froze.

I really hope they can fix this as I love VLC on my iPad for the ease of adding content and not having to convert anything. I literally have no videos on my iPad through iTunes as it is far too much hassle for me to add them.

Lets hope this issue can be fixed without the app dissapearing from the app store.

flur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flur » 18 Nov 2010 01:52

@j-b
Can you inform us about what is going on?

tak4505
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tak4505 » 19 Nov 2010 02:40

I am having the same issue after an update to Ipad 3.2.2. I love this app, and really would use the ipad for only this if I had to, so whatever suggestion you have is great. I did not have much success with the Cinexplayer, so I am really hoping something could be done. Thanks guys.

makarios
New Cone
New Cone

Postby makarios » 19 Nov 2010 21:54

Having the same issue on Ipad... thought I finally had a great player solution. Hopefully it will be addressed soon.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”