I can't play DVDs in VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
myfiles

I can't play DVDs in VLC

Postby myfiles » 06 May 2005 22:43

I'm running Win XP with SP2. Today I DL'd and installed numerous times the 0.8.1 version. It won't play any of the dvds I have tried. I then DL'd the K-Lite Mega codec pack, installed it, but it still won't play.

FWIW, DVD's won't play in WMP either, but only because I won't pay money to get a decoder from one of the MS partner firms that sells them.

However, after installing the KLite pack, the error message changed from "no decoder" to "lower screen resolution and/or color quality settings."

I'm running out of ideas....I never dreamed watching a DVD could be such a pain.

Netster

Postby Netster » 08 May 2005 06:41

Can someone kindly answer this.

I am in the same situation - XP SP 2, no MS-partner codecs installed.

Would like to know (beofre installing VLC Media Player) if it will play DVDs.

Postby Guest » 08 May 2005 10:41

Since I last posted, I have installed WinDVD and now have no problems watching DVDs. In other words, there is no hardware problem -- and as an added bonus, now WMP will play DVDs.

Why can't I get VLC to do something it claims it is able to do?

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 08 May 2005 10:57

vlc doesnt use 3rd party codecs for playing DVDs...

Asim

Postby Asim » 08 May 2005 10:59

Why can't I get VLC to do something it claims it is able to do?

it doesnt claim that its able to do it... it DOES IT... DVDs work perfect for me... maybe some issues with the way your system is setup?

As I Lay Dying

Postby As I Lay Dying » 13 May 2005 07:31

I hate ask something so obvious, but are you picking the correct drive??

VLC plays dvds fine for me............

Postby Guest » 27 Jun 2005 18:56

It won't play dvd's for me either, on two different machines.

anony

DVD Play

Postby anony » 21 Jul 2006 06:42

notes at the bottom of the VLC Feature list page

[1] DVD decryption is done through the libdvdcss library.
[2] DVD navigation is done through the libdvdplay library.

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2006 09:09

For those who are experiencing problems it would be best to describe the machines (CPU GPU and video memory). also a bit better description of what happens when you try to play a DVD and how you are calling it IE through Windows pop up or from within the player may also be helpful.

But just saying it doesn't work and I have tried it on several machines running Windows XP with SP2 is not enough to go on. :wink:

leif09123
New Cone
New Cone

Re: I can't play DVDs in VLC

Postby leif09123 » 19 Jul 2011 17:08

Hmm, I understand that the last post here was in 2006 so maybe I'm a little too late to get help on this issue. Anyway, I also cannot play DVDs through VLC. System specs are as follows:
ASUS Notebook G50VT Series
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
64 - bit OS
VLC 1.1.11 (I assume that is the version of VLC)
I have to right click on the E drive in my computer and manually select "Play with VLC media player"
VLC opens and I hear the DVD spinning in the DVD tray and the computer doing whatever it's doing to try to play the DVD but nothing shows up on screen. If I click on explore the DVD I can open the individual episodes and get sound but i cannot get video. Furthermore, I borrowed the DVD from my friend after watching it on his DVD player it works just fine on his DVD player and I have kept the DVD in pristine condition since that time so I know there is nothing wrong with the disc I just can't seem to get it to work on my computer.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated as my friend will be moving next month so I have about two weeks to watch the DVD and give it back to him.

To anyone who may find this, thanks in advance
:)

darriuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby darriuk » 25 Jul 2011 21:57

I get the same problem.
The DVD might be the wrong region for your machine. VLC doesn't alert you if it is the wrong region as far as I know.

Tycho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Tycho » 27 Aug 2011 15:29

I am having the same kind of problem.
VLC will play one DVD Movie on my XP machine, but not on my W7 machine, or vice versa.
I noticed at least one recurrent situation: if the DVD Movie bears a region code different from the W7 OEM player (PowerDVD), VLC does not play it.

Also, I sometimes have the feeling that playing a DVD with VLC is like playing dice.
I give an example. After several unsuccessful attempts (play the disc, play each .VOB...) to play a DVD Movie (copy protected), I finally selected "Chapter 1" on the main menu (instead of "Film") and I could see the movie in its integrity.
Can anybody direct me to a summary of what VLC can and can't do after placing a DVD Movie into the drive.
I would really appreciate it as it will save me a lot of time.
Thanks in advance.

To make the things clear: all the DVD Movie I am trying to play have been purchased from a reputable shop, none is a copy.

brianscook
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brianscook » 29 Aug 2011 19:55

I never have any trouble watching DVD's in WMP, but they don't always start playing or being recognized automatically. My method is to open up the Video directory on the DVD, and then open the VIDEO_TS.IFO directly. You may have to associate it with WMP the first time, but it works perfectly.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”