Tiger (OS X 10.4) and Core Image/Video

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Killroy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Tiger (OS X 10.4) and Core Image/Video

Postby Killroy » 23 Apr 2005 18:35

DJ and all Mac developers...

Have you guys started or plan to start to see if VLC can take advatange of the GPU power via Core Image/Video. I don't know if its possible but it seems that the hardware decoding on the GPU would make VLC scream.

So far there is no other apps that appears to take advantage of the video capabilites for decoding so making VLC the first would really put you guys on the map.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Tiger (OS X 10.4) and Core Image/Video

Postby fkuehne » 25 Apr 2005 23:14

There aren't many OSX developers working on VLC and those who are, are busy with fixing the GUI for the next release, so I fear that there won't be any time left for having a look at CoreVideo for the next release. Perhaps something might come after 0.8.2, but nothing is actually planned yet. If you have lots of free time, feel free to help us with the GUI or provide patches concerning CoreVideo. We would be glad to help you.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Killroy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Killroy » 26 Apr 2005 18:03

I would love to help but my expertise is buidling (putting together) hardware. I have no knowledge of software development.

Did you guys see this link where Apple's hardware accelaration API's were reversed engineered and seem to be working a little...maybe you guys can contact him and see if he can help. He seems to be making the source code open to everyone.

Here's the link again.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”