Playlist/MediaLib issues

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
g00ey
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlist/MediaLib issues

Postby g00ey » 24 Aug 2010 12:48

The playlist/Media library has a few issues that are not yet resolved. I use VLC mainly on Windows but I think these issues are general. What I've found is the following:

* One cannot add whole directories in the media library, especially directories on shared networks (Windows/CIFS), the player reports "file not found"

* When adding files (or creating directories) in the media library, one cannot add them directly into the subdirectories, everything is created in the root, even though the subdirectory is selected

* Oh, and the regular playback controls (e.g. spacebar for play/pause, bluetooth headset buttons, ...) don't work when the playlist / media library window/pane (CTRL+L) is opened/active.

* One cannot edit the properties of the items in the media library. If I for example created a directory with the wrong name, the context menu item "Information" gives the possibility of editing details of items in the library. The problem is that whatever is edited in the "information" window will not be saved when closing it. One cannot rename items using F2 either.

g00ey
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Playlist/MediaLib issues

Postby g00ey » 25 Aug 2010 13:21

I have found more issues:
* Opening multiple files into the playlist works but it is not possible to add whole directories with contents (and their subdirectories ...)
* In the file selection dialogue there are four ways of showing files; "Media Files", "Video Files", "Audio Files", and "All Files". In the default setting ("Media Files" that is supposed to show all types of media files, audio as well as video) audio files (such as mp3 and flac) are not visible.
* When adding a group of (audio) files to the playlist for playback it happens occasionally that the player "accidentally" jumps to the first item in the media library instead of the next item in the playlist when the media file currently playing ends.

I have found the issue with the "Open Folder"; When selecting a whole directory for playback, the selection is interpreted as:

"file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents\\RemoteServer\ShareName\DirPath\".

when it should be

file://///RemoteServer/ShareName/Dirpath

This is for directories located in the network. When choosing whole directories from local storage it doesn't open at all and no error messages are generated.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”