ActiveX time slider problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
haasviktor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ActiveX time slider problems

Postby haasviktor » 19 Apr 2005 14:59

Hi

I want to make my VoD solution and i have some problem on the client side. I use the latest nightly build.
Activex plugin works but the time slider doesn't.
If i play the movie file from the local disk by activex plugin the time slider works correctly and i see the length of the movie and i can seek too.
If i play from the vod server it plays the movie but i can't seek and it doesn't write out the length of the movie.
What should i do to make the time slider works.

My other problem is my clients want to see some part of the movie, they don't want to watch it from the beginning.
I find the addTarget function in the sourcecode.
addTarget( BSTR uri, VARIANT options, enum VLCPlaylistMode mode, int position)
How can i use the position parameter.
How can i add in browser at the MRL field to start playing the movie at the prefered part. (for example at 30 minute)

I hope somebody can help me.

Ps: Sorry if my english is not so good :)

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 19 Apr 2005 19:10

time slider will only work if the MRL you are playing is 'seekable', which is the case for local files, but may not for the type of streams you are using. Test your streams with the VLC application, if the slider works, then there is a problem with the ActiveX plugin, otherwise you may have to use different types of streams (RTSP with trickplay, etc...); also consider using remote file sharing.

there is a Time property, which indicates/control the playback position in the stream, but this will only work for 'seekable' MRLs.

Postby Guest » 19 Apr 2005 23:16

I tested my streams with vlc and the slider doesn't appear.
So the activex plugin hasn't got a problem and my stream doesn't seekable.
My streams are Xvid and Divx movies with http and rtsp. (later i want to stream x264).
How can i make my streams seekable?
I tried to find more info about trickplay but i can't find anything usefull.
Could you explain how can i use it in vlc.
If am i right i can't start my movie at specified position if my stream doesn't seekable?
I would like to start my stream at the position what i want.
It's very important to me.

Please help me!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”