Step through the VLC Source Code

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

Step through the VLC Source Code

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2004 21:51

Hi,

Thus far, i was able to compile and link the VLC source code using Cygwin. The next step for me is to step through the code. I'm new to Cygwin so I'm not sure what tools i need in order to step through and debug the source code in Windows environment.

Any help, links or documents are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 24 Nov 2004 00:38

vlc has millions of lines of code, and are heavily multithreaded, so stepping through it generally does not make sense. There is a crash dump analyser for windows and cygwin called "dr mingw" or something like that.

Ronald

Postby Ronald » 18 Apr 2005 15:50

What about Mac OSX, with Xcode ?

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 18 Apr 2005 20:48

feel free to try. I don't think it will make much sense to do step by step running though

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 19 Apr 2005 13:06

If you really need to, track the problem to a file location and put a breakpoint on the place where you think the issue is. The first time gdb runs into the breakpoint it will stop there and you can step trough from there. As long as you tracked down the issue close enough you can get some information by looking at the memory. Xcode is actually pretty good at presenting this to your.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”