16:9 ratio changing windows theme

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
cinderwolf
New Cone
New Cone

16:9 ratio changing windows theme

Postby cinderwolf » 14 Jul 2010 02:47

Hey guys.. this is a problem I've been running into now for actually the past two days.

Oddly enough, I havn't downloaded or updated anything in the past two days to cause this to happen.
Media that i'll play (.mkv, .avi, mpeg, and mp4 as well) 98% of the time seems to change my windows color scheme. This has NOT happened before the past two days. I find it mostly happens now with smaller resolution files - but also happens on files with resolutions of 1280 x 720/768. My color scheme is being changed to Windows Basic - BUT this ONLY happens the moment 16:9 aspect ratio is selected on FULLSCREEN mode.

When in windowed mode, this is not a problem - but the moment fullscreen mode is selected, my display shuts down briefly and windows changes it's display scheme. The moment I ALT/TAB or shut fullscreen down, the display (again) cuts for a moment as the scheme is changed back to normal.

I'm looking for a solution to prevent this as it's VERY frusterating and annoying - but mostly because this did not happen at all before.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit edition, VLC 0.8.6d (wxWidgets interface - this version doesn't have the ugly interface newer versions have), ATI Radeon HD5700 1gb GDDR3 video card RUNNING AT 1920 x 1080 resolution in 32-bit color depth. Any other system questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: 16:9 ratio changing windows theme

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 14 Jul 2010 22:02

That's a limitation you get from combining your new Windows 7 system and video drivers with an old VLC (that predates Windows 7).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

cinderwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cinderwolf » 15 Jul 2010 02:06

Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. :) As I've clearly stated - This has NOT happened before the past two days. (I'm not trying to sound pompous at all here - simply through trial, i know this is not the case whatsoever). This happens to be a fullscreen issue that did not appear prior to the past two days - and I havn't updated things within my pc whatsoever.

cinderwolf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cinderwolf » 15 Jul 2010 02:20

Aah! I've actually found the issue!

I've found that it was an issue of running DUAL MONITOR OUTPUTS. When running fullscreen on one monitor (leaving the desktop shown on the second screen), when enabling fullscreen and setting aspect ratio to 16:9 mode, this is what is causing the issue.

Disabling extended desktop has cleared up the issue.

If possible - please mark as closed (and perhaps as a problem and solution as well? I wasn't able to find anything here in the forums regarding this issue now that I know what the cause was).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”