Unable to play .cda

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SarahG

Unable to play .cda

Postby SarahG » 03 Apr 2005 08:23

Hi guys,

I seem to have a problem playing audio cd (.cda) files using VideoLan. Whenever I try playing the .cda files, VideoLan just skips thru each track until it reaches the end.

I did a search on the forum for .cda and it didnt generate much results giving me the impression that I am the only one experiencing this problem. I tried this on both my notebook but I keep getting the same problem.

Please advice me on what I should do. Thanks! :oops:

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 03 Apr 2005 10:03

It's more likely you are the only one to ever try such a file. Either that, or everyone else trying them realized that the format isn't in the supported files list.

SarahG

Postby SarahG » 03 Apr 2005 10:18

Are you saying that VideoLan doesn't support Audio CD and .wav format? I find this highly unlikely because when I first installed VideoLan, it gives the option to set it as the default player for .wav and AudioCD.

Does anyone know why I can't seem to get it work with these 2 file types? Thanks! :oops:

Sid32

Postby Sid32 » 03 Apr 2005 14:24

You didn't just copy over the cds to your HD and then try to play it right?

SarahG

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2005 14:32

no, I didn't copy anything to my hdd. All I did was set VideoLan to autoplay Audio CD when I insert them.

Basically, I cant get Videolan to play .cda format files or even .wav files which is very unusual as I am very sure it supports these formats.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 03 Apr 2005 17:10

vlc does support .wav files, and audio cd, but not .cda files (whatever that might be) unless they infact are just camoflaged files of some other format vlc does support. If your vlc behaves strangely, then try to reset your preferences in the preferences dialog.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 03 Apr 2005 17:17

isn't .cda the file type windows shows when you insert an audio CD ?

SarahG

Postby SarahG » 03 Apr 2005 17:28

.cda file is just the file name for Audio CD - the kind where you insert into your home stereo of Hi-fi system.

I can't seem to play any Audio Cd even after resetting the pref or reinstalling. These are cds that I burn using WMP (from mp3 -> audio cd).

Very odd. It just seems to skip thru every track on the cd until it reaches the end. Is there some kind of settings I have to configure?

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » 04 Apr 2005 14:51

I have the same problem. I have never been able to play any Audio CD using VideoLan. All it does is it skips through each track until it reaches the final track and does nothing.

I checked the documentation and it says that VideoLan suports Audio CD. Does any of the pros know why this is happening? :?:

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 04 Apr 2005 20:39

open the audio cd with the gui. file->Open->disc select audio cd and the drive letter. Do not try to open the cda file.

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 04 Apr 2005 21:49

The ".cda" file is nothing more than a placeholder Windows uses, there's nothing actually there. If you try to copy it, you will get a file of ~300 bytes, typically -- this is just the TOC header associated with the track. Use a MRL path such as

Code: Select all

cdda://D:@4
instead -- that would be to open track 4 on the disc in drive D. If that doesn't work, then maybe you should delete your Preferences file and re-install VLC. [Hey, it seems to work for everything else!]

SarahG

Postby SarahG » 04 Apr 2005 22:14

hi guys,

thanks for the advice. I tried everything and it still won't work. I uninstalled VLC and deleted the pref folder and reinstalled the player but nothing changed. I also tried the latest nightly build but it's still the same.

All the Audio CDs I have are burned using my cd burner. Could this be the reason why it isnt playing with VideoLan?

It just shows cdda://D: in the playlist but nothing happens. On the other hand, when I tried with other players such as WMP10 or RealPlayer, it works just fine.

You guys are probably annoyed I keep asking the same question but I'm so frustrated since this is the only thing I cant play with VideoLan

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 05 Apr 2005 01:31

Just a quick question -- is "D:" the actual CD drive? I have two, E: and F:, and if I want to play a CD I have to change the drive letter manually. Stupid problem perhaps, but human nature is fallible.

SarahG

Postby SarahG » 05 Apr 2005 05:36

Hi Publius,

My CD drive is my D:\...I only have one unpartitioned C:\ drive. :D

myfiles

Re: Unable to play .cda

Postby myfiles » 01 May 2005 07:50

I am having the same problem -- VLC won't play my cds. The literature clearly states that VLC plays audio cds. They play just fine in WMP but not VLC.

myfiles

Re: Unable to play .cda

Postby myfiles » 01 May 2005 07:50

I am having the same problem -- VLC won't play my cds. The literature clearly states that VLC plays audio cds. They play just fine in WMP but not VLC.

kaloo

Unable to play .cda

Postby kaloo » 08 Dec 2005 12:11

hi People,

I have the same problem that SarahG and i do the sames thing that her: I tried everything and it still won't work.

thanks

kaloo from France :wink:

Bragador

Postby Bragador » 13 Jan 2006 17:18

Well at least I'm not alone !

I tried to play my cds yesterday and nothing worked. I was suprised since I thought VLC could read audio cds but I guess there is still work to be done. It's not version 1.0.0 yet afterall.

gugu

vlc d oesn't play cda files

Postby gugu » 24 Jun 2006 04:48

as i can see, the problem exists some time already. i am a new user of vlc and i am surprised that the developers seem not to know the cda-extension of music files. i had some problems with them also with other players, but real and quicktime can read them without a problem ... but i don't like them.
when will vlc be ready for those files?

gugu

Nil Einne

Postby Nil Einne » 24 Jun 2006 20:18

As has already been explain, the CDA extention doesn't really exist. It's just a place holder. You can read the red book doc if you don't believe.

VLC does support CD Audio tho. At least I have no problem. If you have a problem it's very likely to be OS and config specific so post in the appropriate forum and describe in more detail your config.

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2006 16:32

As has already been explain, the CDA extention doesn't really exist. It's just a place holder. You can read the red book doc if you don't believe.

VLC does support CD Audio tho. At least I have no problem. If you have a problem it's very likely to be OS and config specific so post in the appropriate forum and describe in more detail your config.

dalem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dalem » 09 Jul 2006 23:12

See my post here: viewtopic.php?t=16158&highlight=cda

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP you need to associate the file extension with the application.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”