skins2 issues

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Asim
Cone that earned his stripes

skins2 issues

Postby Asim » 30 Mar 2005 06:29

Hi, i recently started developing a WMP10-like skin for VLC 0.81 (which you may be seeing/using sometime in the near future), when i hit a brick wall...

1. there seems to be an issue with the way Skins2 displays stuff... atleast on Win XP SP2

for example:

say you have text with the media file's playing time displayed on it...

and the Video tag, both within the same Window tag...

then when you attempt to open a video file and play it, the video dissapears after the seconds are updated... (e.g. if you make it fullscreen and small screen again, it will display the video, but once the seconds is increased from say 10seconds to 11 seconds, the video will dissapear)

moreover, ive found this issue to be when hovering over a button, and the video mysteriously dissapears... any solution to those two???

2. also in the Skins documentation, i was reading that you can have lefttop and righttop attributes for text... but this does not seem to be the case (as i tried it, and my skin wouldnt load... so i had to remove those tags)

am i doing something wrong in that case???

3. also one small thing that i dislike is... for the playlists... its nice that there's an attribute to set the background color etc... but what if we dont want to have a background for the playlists? (e.g. ive got a gradient which i'd rather want displayed, but because the playlist requires a background color... the gradient gets hidden)...

Hope for a reply soon, (so i can finish my skin and release it to the masses ;))

Asim

Postby Asim » 31 Mar 2005 06:34

anyone found a solution to this??? it seems to be related to buttons & tooltips having problems with embedded videos...

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 02 Apr 2005 14:30

1) Could you try a nightly build and see if there is some improvement? Several fixes have been made since the last release.
http://www.videolan.org/~videolan/

2) You are right, the "lefttop" and "rightbottom" attributes are indeed not supported by the Text control. Currently, it is not implemented, and it would conflict with the "size" attribute of the Font tag. Maybe i will implemeng it in the future, if it's really needed...

3) Good point. I'll try to make these attributes optional.

Thanks for the feed-back!

Asim

Postby Asim » 02 Apr 2005 15:38

Hi, regarding the text... it would be nice if we were allowed to position it... (because as it currently is... the text can only be positioned statically...)

for example if the text was placed on the bottom left... (and we resize the skin) then the text would move down accordingly (instead of sticking to its spot)...

Asim

Postby Asim » 02 Apr 2005 23:26

Update:

I found the problem...

as far as WinXP SP2 is concerned... when using Direct X video Output (NOTE: "DEFAULT" video output option under windows is Direct X), and enabling Video Overlays, the video will dissapear whenever you move over a button or slider...

I've found that disabling Video Overlay for Direct X solves this issue...

an alternate solution is to use a different Video Output option (e.g. OpenGL) and still have Overlays enabled.

now that there's a work-around... going back to the issue, i'm not sure if this is a bug or what -- i think it should be addressed (because if anyone uses skins 2, they will run into this problem when using skins that contain embedded videos )

- Asim

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 03 Apr 2005 12:30

As i told you, this is most likely already fixed in the nightly builds. Did you try them?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 03 Apr 2005 15:01

Concerning problem 2), i have just added support for the lefttop and rightbottom attributes in the Text control. It should be available in the nightly build of this night.

Beware that the control isn't resized if the parameters have different values (lefttop and righttop, for example), but the text is cropped if the size of the control becomes too small for the text.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”