Scripting VLC on mac OSX????

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
dazed&confused
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Scripting VLC on mac OSX????

Postby dazed&confused » 15 Jan 2004 10:43

Hi, I am trying to save two streams simultaneously to disk (do not need to see the streams, just record them). I have managed to do this by having two sessions of VLC running (one named VLC copy). I want to script these however so that I can run a script that will open the stream and begin recording for both streams. In the applescript dictionary there seems to only be a OPENURL command, with which I can only get VLC to display the stream on screen. Is there any way to script it to open a stream with the advanced settings?? Is there any other way that I can automate this process if it is not possible via applescript? It would be a shame if this couldnt be automated.
I am running VLC 0.7.0 on mac OS 10.3.2 on a powerbook 867Mhz
Many thanks
Jim

Murray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Murray » 15 Jan 2004 15:09

Some work is being done at present time to give access to all the core VLC functions via a Python interface, but I can't tell you if it works or not (haven't tested yet and I would have prefered Perl, actually </troll>).

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 15 Jan 2004 15:52

well you could of course just fix the options in the preferences. that's what they are there fore.
You can even use multiple configuration files, by using the command line etc.

--config option allows you to specify which configuration file VLC should use.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2004 16:05

Thanks, I had a brief look at the preference pane and hoped that I could use this somehow to fix the advanced options....I couldnt work out what I was doing though. I guess its back to the manual!

dazed&confused
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dazed&confused » 15 Jan 2004 16:34

Ok...I know I am being dumb on this one, but how do I use command line? this is on osx, I know how to open terminal but the manual states I need to be in the directory where VLC is...fine I can do that, seems to be called VLC.app but I havent a clue how to run it??! Thought you normally just type the name? Manual only mentions something about ./ but I am not having much luck.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 15 Jan 2004 18:22

Go to

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/

Then,run ./VLC [command line arguments here]
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

dazed&confused

Postby dazed&confused » 15 Jan 2004 18:43

hurrah....one step closer! many thanks!