Fullscrn lags with semi-transparent control window at bottom

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Metajoe
New Cone
New Cone

Fullscrn lags with semi-transparent control window at bottom

Postby Metajoe » 10 Jan 2010 07:47

I had been using an old version for awhile (sorry, I don't remember which version) and just updated VLC last night. I had no playback problems or lag in my videos with fullscreen up at all. Now, with the new version, due to the semi-transparent control window that pops up at the bottom of the screen when you move your mouse or in that direction, my video lags. I have no audio lag, just video. Its really annoying. Is there any way to make it so it's just a solid box instead of semi-transparent? I've looked around in the preferences and interface menus with absolutely no luck whatsoever. It can't be my cpu because I'm running Vista and I had no problems before the update--NONE!

So yeah, can someone please point me in the right direction on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Fullscrn lags with semi-transparent control window at bottom

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jan 2010 12:07

Deactivate the fullscreen controller.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Metajoe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Metajoe » 11 Jan 2010 17:40

Deactivate the fullscreen controller.
...How?

gsz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gsz » 25 Feb 2010 08:56

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum because I also have the same problem as the OP. I do not want to turn off the fullscreen controller, because it's an essential part of the player to me. I am running Windows 7 (Basic theme enabled) on an Acer 751h with 1GB of RAM and an Intel GMA 500 GPU.

I have disabled transparency in the Qt menu, but the effect still appears when the controller fades in/out, choking/lagging the video. As far as I recall, I haven't had this problem before installing the new version. Transparency works fine with Aero enabled by the way.

Is there a way to completely disable transparency in the fullscreen controller like in the previous versions?

nitrium
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Fullscrn lags with semi-transparent control window at bo

Postby nitrium » 03 Apr 2010 05:50

It seems this only occurs under Vista or Window 7. I only recently switched to Win7 (from XP) and am using the same version (1.05) of VLC and it has made it basically unusable in fullscreen mode - with very serious lag as soon as you pop up the control panel.
Fortunately, it can be easily solved by running vlc.exe in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP SP3. This disables the resource hogging (and IMO totally unnecessary) transparency effect and retains video performance when the control panel is up.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 18 Feb 2011 06:51

This is definitely a problem. In Windows 7, there is no overlay like in XP; videos are rendered in software no matter the setting, even if the overlay surface is not in use. Simply turning off the fullscreen controls is no good because we want them. There needs to be an option to turn off the transparency for fullscreen controls like there is for all of the other options in the OSD section.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Feb 2011 19:08

This is definitely a problem. In Windows 7, there is no overlay like in XP; videos are rendered in software no matter the setting, even if the overlay surface is not in use. Simply turning off the fullscreen controls is no good because we want them. There needs to be an option to turn off the transparency for fullscreen controls like there is for all of the other options in the OSD section.
Probably, yes. File a bug on that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

BrentNewland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BrentNewland » 04 Mar 2012 22:55

Open Preferences, hit the "All" radiobox in the bottom left.

Go to Interface>Main Interfaces>QT

Look for "Fullscreen controller opacity between 0.1 and 1". By default it is 0.8, set it to 1.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 07 Mar 2012 21:44

Open Preferences, hit the "All" radiobox in the bottom left.
Go to Interface>Main Interfaces>QT
Look for "Fullscreen controller opacity between 0.1 and 1". By default it is 0.8, set it to 1.
I already have that, but it doesn’t help. If you continually move the mouse cursor, the controls remain opaque (transparency of 1), but as soon as you stop moving the mouse cursor, the controls get slightly transparent (for some reason) and cause high CPU usage and lag. Of course this only happens with non-overlay videos (e.g., if you have another video occupying the overlay surface).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”