Bug (?) with saving or using certain settings

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Dr. Acula
New Cone
New Cone

Bug (?) with saving or using certain settings

Postby Dr. Acula » 27 Jan 2010 01:15

Hello,

I noticed there are two settings which are not saved properly or don't have any effect when checked (both in "simple settings" > input & codecs):

1) Option "Use system codecs if available": If I check this option I noticed I cannot play wmv files anymore, but the actual problem is, when I uncheck the option again, I can still not play wmv, even after restart, so it seems it's still using the (not working) system codec.
When I look at the "vlcrc" file in my vlc user folder, I can see that the entry "Prefer system plugins over VLC (boolean)
prefer-system-codecs" changes correctly according to the setting. However, I've made a backup copy of this file before I changed the option and somewhere there is a difference between the two files, although they should be the same, I think (as I didn't do anything else than changing the option to on, and then off again.) I don't find what exactly is different though.
Also, when I replace the file with my backupped version from when I didn't touch the "use system codecs" option, it works fine again (plays wmv files).
It seems when checking or unchecking this option, something is written wrong in the vlcrc file.

2) Another problem is with the "postprocessing quality" option. Isn't it supposed to do the same as the one in the context menu, but just for permanent? However when the option (in input & codecs) is set to 6 (or any other lower than that) the context menu equivalent always shows that "disable" is checked.
And when I play a bad encoded video with "block" artifacts, the post processing in context menu is clearly able to soften those artifacts, but the option in input & codecs doesn't seem to do any difference.

I use Windows 7 and VLC 1.0.3 but IIRC I also saw the problems on Win XP and previous VLC version(s).

Regards

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Bug (?) with saving or using certain settings

Postby cybmole » 11 Feb 2010 22:05

Another problem is with the "postprocessing quality" option. Isn't it supposed to do the same as the one in the context menu, but just for permanent? However when the option (in input & codecs) is set to 6 (or any other lower than that) the context menu equivalent always shows that "disable" is checked.
And when I play a bad encoded video with "block" artifacts, the post processing in context menu is clearly able to soften those artifacts, but the option in input & codecs doesn't seem to do any difference.

I use Windows 7 and VLC 1.0.3 but IIRC I also saw the problems on Win XP and previous VLC version(s).
I have same issue - can someone please explain how to set post processing to be on by default

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”