WMV to AVI

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
pdchandler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

WMV to AVI

Postby pdchandler » 28 Feb 2009 08:31

Hi all,

I need to convert a WMV (orginating from MS Photostory) to AVI (so that AVIDMUX can combine videos and add an audio track).

Is it possible to convert from WMV to AVI using vlc? If so, what's the mux and recommended codecs? AVIDMUX seems to want as 'plain vanilla' as possible.

I've seen somewhere of an AVI mux, but it doesn't appear as one of the options in the wx interface; not being afraid of a commandline, I've tried it and got a file, but not one which vlc or wmp want to play, or AVIDMUX wants to import.

I'd also though that I could combine the wmv's and add audio using vlc directly, and using the --input-slave, but the resultant video is too jerky and the audio too crackly. Any suggestions as to whether this should be possible?

Thanks,

rh
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Lin / Win / Andr

Re: WMV to AVI

Postby rh » 03 Mar 2009 09:58

Hi, can't avidemux do this for you ? But of course you can use vlc to convert with the convert/save-wizzard. You should know that AVI is only a wide-range containerformat, most important are video-, audio-codec and muxers. Have a look at the new vlc doku, this describes converting very good.

But i think its a better way to extract video and audio source with mplayer and use avidemux or vlc to remux this because by doing this you have little problems with A/V-Sync.
scarcely you do it right it works ...
Greetings, rh

pdchandler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pdchandler » 05 Mar 2009 03:44

avidemux can't import mpeg, just avi; so it alone is not good for this job.

I've looked in the docs, and couldn't find anything on anything like "mux=avi" which I assume you need to produce a container file of that type. But if someone can point me to the right page, I'm happy to look there.

I also know that not every codec is compatible with every container, and there are some codecs more commonly found 'in' some containers. Hence the question for a 'general kind' of recommendation, not a fool-proof recipe.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 05 Mar 2009 11:38

The AVI muxer is broken in VLC IIRC. If you want to use VLC to transcode the WMV file then you could transcode the video/audio tracks into AVI compatible formats, using e.g. MP4 or MPEG-TS as the container format. Then open the output file in e.g. Avidemux and save as an AVI (as it should be able to mux the tracks properly into an AVI file).

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

pdchandler
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pdchandler » 30 Aug 2009 10:32

Is the AVI muxer known to be working in 1.0.1 (win32)?

I am presently trying to transcode some video from m4v to divx (ie div3 in AVI container). Am having some success using mencoder, but would prefer to use vlc; if I configure vlc to perform this transcoding, the end result is not at all a watchable video.

Please advise current status of AVI muxer.

Thanks,

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Aug 2009 20:13

Broken.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

kakone
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kakone » 22 Dec 2009 23:43

I try to use the avi muxer in the 1.0.3 version. It doesn't seem to work.
Will it be fixed in a next version or is the avi muxer abandoned ?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”