Problem with Mac VLC player. Bad video

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
cardgame
New Cone
New Cone

Problem with Mac VLC player. Bad video

Postby cardgame » 04 Feb 2005 23:05

I hope anyone can help. we are having a bad problem with video on the Mac. Quicktime player works fine BTW. The video is garbled and tiny. Please see the link below to the image of what the problem looks like. Any help would be great. This is driving us nuts!

Mark

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 05 Feb 2005 04:05

Is this video from a local file, or incoming from a stream, or live from a capture device?

Version of MacOS?

cardgame
New Cone
New Cone

both

Postby cardgame » 05 Feb 2005 15:58

It doesn't matter. The picture is of a Windows media file being played locally. But it also causes the same problem with multicasts and other network streams.

Mark

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: both

Postby fkuehne » 06 Feb 2005 18:10

As you might know, VLC uses the FFMPEG library for decoding the most video- and audio tracks. Since Microsoft did not publish any details on its WMV codecs, the WMV2-codec you probably tried to use is quite buggy. There isn't much you can do to improve the video except to help the FFMPEG-project to create a better one.

The windows-port of VLC can display these videos fine, because it uses a MS-framework (which is Win32 only of course) to display them instead of FFMPEG.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

cardgame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cardgame » 07 Feb 2005 05:19

I wish hat was the only problem. We have a capture card that outputs an MPEG-4 stream that can be received using RTSP. In the Quicktime player it works great. In VLC you get the same error that you saw with the WMV file. That was just for an example. I am doing no transcoding. Just selecting Play locally with an MPEG-TS or PS stream. Same problem.

Mark

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Feb 2005 17:38

Just selecting Play locally with an MPEG-TS or PS stream. Same problem.
Well, this kind of file plays usually fine at my side so your reported behaviour is kind of strange. Feel free to upload us a sample to ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/ and post the specific name here so we can have a look at it.

Btw. Do you use a self-compiled variant of VLC for these tests or an official, by our team created build?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”