BUG: Seeking through FLV files in VLC 1.0.0

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
worstusernameever
New Cone
New Cone

BUG: Seeking through FLV files in VLC 1.0.0

Postby worstusernameever » 10 Jul 2009 16:19

Hello. I wanted to let you know, after upgrading from VLC 0.9.9 to 1.0.0 (both standard Win32 releases) I've found that loads of FLV files no longer seek properly. Trying to seek through them results in one of three things happening: (1) it jumps to a random (but consistent) place, (2) it stops playing, or (3) it just crashes.

You can tell immediately that it's a problem file because the video length in the time display is given as "--/--". (It seems strange that it doesn't know the length though, because the time slider knows where it is. (Or is it smart and using the file size instead?))

Also, in the messages window, it prints out: "avformat debug: Trying to seek too far : EOF?", loads of times starting immediately after: "avformat debug: detected format: flv".

I can't see anything that the problem files have in common apart from having "FLV1" as the codec. But I've also tested many FLV1 files that play and seek absolutely fine. I couldn't localise the problem further, except that all the files work perfectly fine in 0.9.9. I've had to keep it installed for this. :-|

If this helps, I uploaded a sample which causes the problem to streams.videolan.org. Filename is "#166 Faith in a Boy (2).flv".

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: BUG: Seeking through FLV files in VLC 1.0.0

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Jul 2009 19:50

Please provide samples of the faulty files.

I've just tried with some H263, VP6 and H264 videos in FLV and no problem so far for me.

worstusernameever
New Cone
New Cone

Postby worstusernameever » 12 Jul 2009 00:14

You're not listening. :-| As I've said, many FLV files work, but many don't. I put it in /incoming/ as the instructions said, with the text file explaining the problem. I'm assuming somebody got it.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Jul 2009 08:08

It might help if you told us the names of the files you have uploaded to the FTP.

Fortunate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fortunate » 15 Jul 2009 20:11

I have a very similar problem I updated from .9.9 yesterday to 1.0.0 and now most/all of my flv files don't seek correctly. I've had this problem before with a select few flv files, but it's never been this common before. The timer in the bottom right shows the correct current position, and no end position. So, for example, if I were half-way through watching a video that's 30 minutes long, it would show: 15:00 / --:--

When I try to seek using the slider, the video goes back to the beginning and resumes playing. It doesn't matter where I am in the video, or where I seek to. I can still use ctrl +, alt +, and shift + the left and right arrow keys to seek. I can also use the "Go to specific time" function.

Also, some of my .wmv files now crash when I try to seek, but I guess that's another issue.

Fortunate
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fortunate » 16 Jul 2009 00:08

I forgot to mention that this (the flv issues) is also happening with newly download flv files.

tyree89733
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tyree89733 » 19 Jul 2009 07:23

I got the same problem on all my flv files i downloaded from youtube after the update from 0.9.9 to 1.0.0 i cant seek anymore im glad my wmv still work when i seek i hate using the ctrl/shift + left/right all day long

theshyone
New Cone
New Cone

Postby theshyone » 19 Jul 2009 09:55

I thought I was the only one with this problem. this happens to ALL my .FLV files.. seems to be no other file types giving me this problem. I can't "seek". And when trying to seek it just restarts the video from the very beginning. It's getting annoying as before I upgraded I was running 0.9.9 with NO problems at all!

Someone messed something up in 1.0.0

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Jul 2009 10:19

Yes, this bug is known now, and we will find a workaround for 1.0.1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dgg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dgg » 23 Jul 2009 00:50

Just to confirm that this problem applies to all media where there is no 'length' metatag.

e.g. I have some mp3 files which exhibit this problem, others that don't. The difference being the absence/presence of a total duration. Othe players seems to be able to work out the duration of the clip irrespective of this tag. e.g. Windows Media Player :D

The same applies to mpeg-2 clips. These play fine via a web-embedded object with a javascript scrollbar. They don't stand-alone. Strange.

Hope this helps in diagnosing a solution in 1.0.1

Derek

worstusernameever
New Cone
New Cone

Postby worstusernameever » 25 Jul 2009 17:15

Yes, this bug is known now, and we will find a workaround for 1.0.1
That's good to know! I wasn't convinced when I posted this that it would be a common enough problem to get fixed. The bug flummoxed so many of my files I had to go back to 0.9.9, but I'm glad I'll eventually be able to upgrade again. Thank you, VideoLAN team, for all the hard work that you do.

worstusernameever
New Cone
New Cone

Postby worstusernameever » 30 Jul 2009 20:24

Thanks whoever fixed this. I tested about 300 FLV files in VLC 1.0.1, using the time slider to jump to about half way through each one. No seeking problems with any of them. All in all, it seems extremely stable.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Jul 2009 21:05

Thanks whoever fixed this. I tested about 300 FLV files in VLC 1.0.1, using the time slider to jump to about half way through each one. No seeking problems with any of them. All in all, it seems extremely stable.
That would be me.
Thanks for the report.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”