Vertical stripes and black/white

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Stephen

Vertical stripes and black/white

Postby Stephen » 05 Jan 2004 19:14

I'm trying to install vlc for the first time. My OS is Debian Linux. I initially installed the version from the Debian testing release (0.3.1, I think) but when I got the problem described below, I installed the latest "unstable" version, 0.7.0-1, but the problem persists.

The problem is that movies appear in black and white; and with thin vertical stripes down them; and with the right-hand edge cut off. It looks just like this screenshot: viewtopic.php?t=372

I have tried both mpeg and DivX movies.

How should I begin to debug this?

Thanks.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 05 Jan 2004 19:42

Which color depth are you using for your display ?
Try 16bpp if you are not already using it.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » 05 Jan 2004 20:14

Thanks, Gibalou. It works correctly at 16 bpp, but is broken at 24 bpp. Is there a way round this, or must I stick to 16 bpp?

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 05 Jan 2004 20:23

It looks like a bug in VLC and will need to be solved.
But I personnaly prefer using 16bpp as it is lighter on the system resources while I can't really see any visual quality difference with 24bpp.

I'd also advise you to get the Xvideo extension of XFree86 working on your system as it is a lot faster than plain X11 to display video (and with Xvideo enabled, vlc will work with 24bpp as well).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”