Trying again - Portrait oriented clip is CROPPED

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ErosStudios
New Cone
New Cone

Trying again - Portrait oriented clip is CROPPED

Postby ErosStudios » 07 Apr 2009 11:04

Trying to get help on this again...

Help would be much appreciated.

OS - Windows Vista
Videos - .mov 16:9 HD shot with Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Video Experience Level - Newbie

I shot this .mov clip in "portrait" orientation. My first hurdle was figuring out how to get VLC to rotate the image 90 degrees so that it would play in portrait orientation as opposed to landscape(side ways). After some futzing around and googling, I was able to rotate the clip 90 degrees with the following steps...

1)Tools/Preferences/Show All Settings/Video/Filters/Rotate ... Set that to 90
2)Extended Properties/Video Effects/Geometry... I checked the "Rotate" checkbox.

Now the problem I have is while the clip does now play back in portrait orientation it is now cropped i.e looks as though it's cropped off the head and the feet of the subject. I've looked at many settings, tried apect ratio and crop changes in the menu, etc. I've perused this forum, and googled the problem but have had no luck figureing this out.

Anyone know how to fix this issue.

Thanks much.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Trying again - Portrait oriented clip is CROPPED

Postby dionoea » 07 Apr 2009 21:32

You need to run the "transform" vout filter. I thought that it was available somewhere in the interface but I can't find it. I'm sure that we used to have that in the interface in 0.8.6 :(
Anyway, command line you can append "--vout-filter transform{type=90}". Available types are 90, 180, 270, hflip and vflip. The easiest solution for you on vista is just to copy a VLC shortcut and add that option at the end of the command line in the shortcut properties.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 07 Apr 2009 21:44

Ok, looks like I'm just blind. It's on the first tab in the video filters extended panel (the drop down menu in the bottom right).

Rotate is a bit different. It rotates without changing the video size at all (which obviously leads to some cropping).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

lec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lec » 18 May 2009 02:37

This solution works but it basically tells the player to re-interpret the clip based on the new parameters as it is viewed locally. The clip, however, remains in the original orientation and thus if it is read by a different application, it will still appear in the wrong orientation. Is there any way to transform an existing clip and to have that clip written after the transformation so that other applications can take advantage of the re-orientation?

Thanks.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”